Students react to the untimely death of pop-star Prince

The news on the afternoon of April 21 sent shockwaves through the music world as it was announced that Prince Rogers Nelson, known simply as Prince, had passed away at the age of 57 from a cause so far unknown.
Known for tunes like “When Doves Cry” and “Purple Rain,” Prince began releasing music in the late 1970s at age 19 and continued to put out infectious hit after infectious hit up until his sudden death at his home in Minnesota, releasing 16 albums since the turn of the millennium.
Prince’s musical style is impossible to put into words, as throughout his career, he transcended typical genre and brought a new feel to R&B, rock, funk, and pop. His music was capable of appealing to fans of all types of music and fans from any generation. Aside from his effortlessly wide vocal range, the musically gifted Prince was proficiently talented with a guitar, drums, bass, synthesizer, keyboard, and several other instruments.
The lifelong Minnesotan’s magnum opus, 1984’s “Purple Rain,” which featured the title track as one of his most successful singles of his career, is commonly regarded as one of the greatest albums ever created by publications including Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, and Entertainment Weekly. It was Prince’s sixth studio album and most successful, selling 20 million copies worldwide. “Purple Rain” was also used as a soundtrack for the film of the same title.
Of course, Prince will not be remembered exclusively for his musical contributions. He became an unparalleled pop culture hero to many due to the way he dressed and his dedication to defying conventional gender and sexuality norms.
Prince’s early work, especially the groundbreaking album “Dirty Mind” and the song “Darling Nikki” off of Purple Rain, drew criticism for lyrics that could be described as risqué to say the least. Lawsuits followed in the years subsequent to the release of the song, ultimately culminating in the decision to place parental advisory labels on albums that contained explicit content.
Prince’s Super Bowl halftime show in 2007 was viewed live by 140 million people, and has been regarded as one of, if not the best, Super Bowl performance of all time.
Another highlight of Prince’s career came in 2004 when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Those around campus who were fans spoke out about what Prince and his music meant to them. Christian Radzinski, a 25 year old physical therapy major from Langhorne, said, “I will remember Prince by how unique he was, and how he didn’t let the critics influence him. He was original and marched to the beat of his own drum.”
“Looking back at Prince, he kind of let people know that being unique and not caring about what others think is what makes you great,” Radzinski said.
Rachel Zablocki, a 26 year old Journalism major from Hilltown, was not a big fan of Prince, but respected his contribution to the music world. “I have always wanted to be an inspiration to people all over the world, so I hope Prince knew that he became one of those figures, and that his legacy will live on,” she said. “I thought he was a great artist and definitely one in a million,” said Zablocki.
Maureen McCreadie, a professor of Communication at Bucks, admired Prince’s music and will remember him for his unique style. “I will remember him as a creative force who brought together a range of musical genres and influences to establish his own style. I admire his independent spirit regarding his music and the rights to his own creative efforts. I also remember him as an important figure in the music life of Minneapolis, where he influenced and encouraged many other artists,” she said.
“My favorite [Prince] song is “When Doves Cry.” I’m not sure I have thought about the question analytically. Rather, I just know it’s the one that I have to sing along with when I hear it. It draws me in and evokes a compelling atmosphere,” said McCreadie.