Two Women Charged With Hacking Bucks Computer Systems

The Women Arrested

A Bucks student and her cohort were arrested and charged with hacking the college’s computer system to alter her grades and the grades of other students in a microbiology course.
The two women arrested were Aleisha Morosco, a 30-year-old part-time student, and Kelly Margaret Marryott, a 37-year-old employed at a medical office.
Bucks officials have suspected since July that someone had been meddling with students’ grades, and once it was reported to the police, the suspicion was confirmed.
Police said Marryott used the personal information of a Bucks faculty member she gained from her employment at a medical office. From there Morosco allegedly hacked the school’s computer network to change her own grade and the grades of other students.
Stephanie H. Shanblatt, president of Bucks County Community College, released the following statement about the incident:
“Dear Colleagues: Last week, the Newtown Township Police arrested two women in connection with an attempt to change grades at the college last summer. I wanted to assure you that this was an isolated incident. When the college discovered the problem, we reported it to Newtown Township Police and worked cooperatively with law enforcement to resolve the case. Bucks takes the integrity of our data systems very seriously. All of the grades altered in the breach were restored to their correct level. I would like to thank the Newtown Township Police Department for their professionalism in bringing this investigation to its appropriate conclusion. In addition, our gratitude goes out to the Office of Security and Safety, Information Technology, and Online Learning for their prompt attention to this matter.”
Both women have been charged with unlawful use of computer, computer crimes, computer trespass, identity theft, and criminal conspiracy.
Computer trespassing is a very serious crime. PhiladelphiaCriminal- Attorney.com states that “If you are indicted on federal computer crime charges, you can face being sent to a federal prison for years.” The two women were arraigned before District Judge Mick Petrucci and released on $40,000 unsecured bail.