“March For Our Lives” Movement Moves To Youth Voting As Students Consider Registration

Matthew Aquino, Centurion Staff

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

On March 24, the March for Our Lives, a student-led demonstration to show support for stricter gun laws, encouraged many young people across the nation to take a stand and vote.
Teens marched for their lives through the streets of Washington, D.C and in over 800 cities throughout the United States and all over the world. When Jackie Brodman, 23, a Biology major at Bucks was asked what her opinion on the marches was she said, “It was an amazing demonstration of young people and the future generation using their voices to evoke the change that our country so desperately needs.”
Many speakers at the marches encouraged the younger generation to come out and vote. Typically, members of the younger generations don’t show up when it comes time to vote, especially for the midterm elections.
Allie Olsen, a 21-year-old english major, had a strong opinion on the topic of voting. She explained, “Voting is probably the most important thing we can do as members of a democratic society. Votes matters and every voice should be heard.”
When asked if she’s a registered voter she said “Yes. As soon as I turned 18, I registered and voted in state and national elections for the past 4 years.”
Although there are students that do go out and vote, there are also some who don’t. Sean Finnegan, a 20-year-old business major at Bucks argued, “I am not a registered voter and haven’t thought about registering since the last election.” He went on to explain, “Some people don’t register to vote because sometimes, they don’t like either of the options they have to choose from.” When asked if he would change his mind to become a registered voter in the future, Finnegan said, “If I liked one of the candidates, then that would definitely motivate me to get out and vote.”
A question that’s going to come up is why the younger generation doesn’t come out to vote. When Michael Lee, a 20-year-old engineering major, was asked this question he said, “Young people don’t come out to vote because they don’t think their votes matter or they don’t get the opportunity to register.”
Christine Eisenberg, 18, a photography major at Bucks argued, “Registering should be easier for certain people and with the technology today, students should be able to register and vote from their smartphones.”
When asked if registering and voting will ever be accessible through the younger generations’ phones and if she thought younger people would vote because of this, she stated, “Yes, I do. Most young people have a phone and are using them all the time and I truly think this would get younger peoples voices out there more.”
Matt Jackson, a 23-year-old criminal justice major has been a registered voter since he was 18. Jackson said, “The younger generations are making a stand for what they believe in and are really trying to evoke change, but it is all for nothing if we don’t show up for Midterm elections and let our voices be heard.”
Voting is always a place to try and make changes and voice your opinion, but in the end, the decision is up to you.