Women’s basketball team struggled but never gave up

Picasa

As the Bucks Women’s Basketball team put another season in the books, fourth year Coach Lori Sullivan couldn’t be happier for the effort that her team has displayed through a year filled with adversity.

“I’m not so concerned with the team’s record, I honestly couldn’t care less.” This was not just any typical year, as Sullivan admits that her team has faced a lot of obstacles and challenges this season. “From injuries to illnesses to grades, a lot of the issues we can’t really control on the court.”

The Centurions’ finished the 2014-15 season at 1-16, not including two cancellations which have counted as victories by forfeit and/or default. In any activity that involves team play however, it is more important to look past wins and losses and try to grasp a greater understanding of the bigger picture.

Although Bucks closed out their season with two blowout losses at home to Northampton Community College on Feb. 7 and Harrisburg Area Community College on Feb. 10, the team showed no quit all year, and stayed resilient to the absolute bitter end.

That ability to fight through all of the losses and pain is a reflection of their coach, who is just as much about teaching character as she is about teaching the nuances of the game.

After last year’s season, many of the women’s key players graduated or transferred out of the college; that will not be the case this year. The women will look to use that as an advantage next season.

The Centurions consist of eight players: three seniors who are graduating at the end of this year and five players returning for next season. “As far as the chemistry goes, they definitely work together very well,” said Sullivan.

The senior women certainly played their part in that. “I’d like to thank them for their hard work, dedication, and overall love of the game,” said Sullivan. “They set a great example for the younger girls and that’s what I’ll miss the most about them.”

Sullivan anticipates returning for her fifth season with the Centurions, and with a generally young team this season, she is absolutely looking forward to what next year will bring. “I’m excited for the nucleus of the team to be back next year; we have five returning players which is a great thing”.

As always, once the next season gets underway, Sullivan, the players, and everyone involved with the team will hope that all students attend the home games and support the squad as much as they can.

All women who are interested in trying out for the team next year are encouraged to contact Lori Sullivan.