Men’s basketball team finishes a tough season

Picasa

The Bucks men’s Bas­ketball team wraps up an all-together rough season, though not without show­ing some promise for the future.

Starting their second half of the year at an upsetting 0-10, the Bucks’ Men’s Basketball team was look­ing for a strong finish.

Ultimately the team only managed two wins in the second half of the year, one against Luzerne CCC and the second against Harris­burg.

Coach Donald Perry had high expectations going into the year, with a good group of balanced players.

“We had some nice recruiting coming into the season, good size and some real athletic players.” he said.

As always, some unex­pected things do happen during the course of a sea­son, the Centurions were no strangers to that.

Key player Doug Weinre­ich broke his ankle early on in the season during prac­tice and was out for about half the season.

Perry also stated some other key problems, ex­plaining, “Another issue was kids not going to class and being ineligible.”

Sometimes timing is ev­erything and the timing of key moments faltered the boys’ season. As Weinreich was coming off of his ankle injury, some of their guards became ineligible.

“To start the year, we didn’t have much size but we had speed within our frontcourt. And when we got our size back in the sec­ond half of the season, we lost some of our speed with our guards,” said Perry.

A notable game this sea­son came against Har­risburg, a 95-90 victory here at Bucks. Early on in the game the Centurions pounded the ball inside to their big players and had success.

Harrisburg made some strides and almost came back with the help of some three-point shooting. But Bucks ended up holding on for a great team win.

Weinreich finished the game with a double-double, scoring 27 and grabbing 24 rebounds.
Perry mentioned that even though most of the players on the team are first year players, they play as well as any other team. “They have good chemistry,” he explained.

“Just sometimes it’s tough to find kids to come out and play so it’s good to see.”

The team’s season was marked by some notable standout players.

Guard Dylan Shorr and forwards Brett Wolf, Shaqueal Vaughn, and especially Weinreich, received great praise from Perry.

“[Weinreich] was our best player this season, easily,” Weinreich broke the Cen­turions’ rebounding record this season and was select­ed to both All-Conference and All-Region teams this season.

Expectations are again high going into next sea­son, with a good recruiting class coming in, and with some key players returning for another year.

This year was “A learning experience,” said Perry, and hopefully the men use this season just as that.