Reynaldo Bonilla: More than just a striker

+Photo+Credit%3A+athletics.bucks.edu
Photo Credit: athletics.bucks.edu

Reynaldo “Rey” Bonilla, at just 19, has become the all-time leading goal scorer in Bucks soccer history along with becoming nationally ranked amongst community colleges in the country.
Bonilla is ranked second in the country in scoring and points, meaning that assists come as frequently as his goals.
Rey has been playing soccer since he could barely walk stating, “It’s in the blood man.” He still competes in men’s leagues with his dad to this day, the man who taught him the game.
Rey dedicates his outstanding play to, “this angry new Yorker” which is the nickname for teammate Rui Raimundo who was recently in a car accident and is unable to complete the rest of the season due to injuries.
Besides thanking God, Rey specifically wants to dedicate every goal and every win the team gets to Rui, and his speedy recovery because he’s been there, stating “I know the feeling of wanting to play and being hurt and it’s the worst, so we (the team) want to dedicate this season to him because we know it’s the only thing that we can do to make him happy.”
Rey continued to stress how important togetherness is, he really works hard to bring the team together as a family, “that’s the key to why we’re so good on the field”
It isn’t just about what he does on the field though, Coach Burroughs says “he really works hard in the classroom”. Rey also works to better the community.
He actively participates in volunteer work, “in 2 weeks we’re going to Philly to give food to the homeless”. He went on to say “we also made cupcakes for the Newtown PD as an appreciation for putting their lives at risk to have a safer community”.
Who knows what’s in store for Rey in the near future, but in an interview Coach named “St. Joe’s, Rider, Monmouth, it isn’t really his concern at the moment.” Though when Rey was asked he said “the goal is somewhere D1.”
Reynaldo really works hard to be the best he can be at anything he does, but like any great athlete he’s got his pregame rituals.
He takes a minute or two to be alone and think about the game and try’s to be completely focused on it by the time warm ups come along. He says “it helps me make sure I’m 100% ready physically but most importantly, mentally”.
It takes a lot more than just skill to be a great player like Bonilla, Coach says he sees the game a lot quicker than most guys, “his IQ really sets him apart.”
As one of the team’s leaders, Rey knows the importance of chemistry and brotherhood throughout the team. “It’s one of the keys to why our team is so great.” Continuing on to say, “These guys are like my family, I’d do anything for these guys.”
When inquiring about a lengthy playoff run Rey said “we have a solid squad to make it further than last year.”
The goal is to win that championship, Rey and the team are making their final push towards the playoffs.
As always, it is encouraged that Bucks students come out to the Centurion’s games to offer their support.