2016 Phillies poised to showcase talented youth

The Philadelphia Phillies off-season moves have their rebuilding plan moving in the right direction for the upcoming 2016-2017 MLB season. Baseball America has The Phillies farm system ranked 8th in all of baseball, a positive change from their 22nd ranked 2015 farm system.
In the off-season, the Phillies were able to acquire: Peter Bourjos, Jeremy Hellickson, David Hernandez, Vincent Velasquez, Brett Oberholtzer, Charlie Morton, Mark Appel, Thomas Eshelman, Jonathan Arauz, Edward Mujica and Andrew Bailey to bolster their big league club.
However, the buzz from this off-season stems more from young potential than off-season signings.
J.P. Crawford (21), the Phillies number one top prospect, has quickly made a name himself as the rising star in the Phillies farm system. Crawford- cousin of Carl Crawford- All-Star outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers, was selected 16th overall in the first round of the 2013 Amateur Draft. He opened eyes almost immediately after posting a .308 average and .805 OBP in 53 games in the minor leagues. Crawford, who is quickly making his way through the farm sytem, is expected to make is big league debut sometime this summer.
The Phillies have the trading away of a previous star package including Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollinms, Jonathon Papelbon, and Ken Giles to thank for the recent bolstering of their organizations youth talent.
This improved farm system is the cause of much optimism within the Phillies fanbase.
Krunal Bhavsar, 19, from Lower Yardley, sports management major at Bucks reported that he predicts the Phillies will improve this season.
“I think they’re going to be better.” said Krunal. “They’re still a long way from being contenders, but they’re improving nonetheless.”
However, not everyone shares that optimistic approach.
Shaun Murphy, 20, from Lower Yardley, computer engineering major at Bucks reported that the Phillies aren’t going to be good at all.
“To me, they’re still going to be awful. I’ll watch some of their games, but I know they won’t win much this season.” Murphy proclaimed.
Last year wasn’t pretty for the Phillies as they ended last in the NL East (63-99). One of the biggest problems for the Phillies last year was friction in the front office.
On September 10, 2015, Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. was dismissed as GM with Scott Proefrock taking the reigns the following day.
Trade rumors also swirled around Ryan Howard. Howard constantly heard his name in trade talks last year and with 2016 being his last guaranteed year in a Phillies uniform, he may potentially be dealt to a contender prior to the July 31st trade deadline.
This off-season, the Phillies were very active and went after many free agents. Two players that the Phillies seem to think highly of are Mark Appel and Vincent Velasquez.
Jordan Hill, 20, from Levittown, computer engineering major at Bucks reported that he feels Appel will be great for the Phillies.
“Appel is going to help the pitching rotation, no doubt.” Said Hill. “Ever since the Phillies got rid of Hamels, they needed a good pitcher and I think Appel is that guy.”
Nate McKee, 20, from Yardley, arts major at Bucks reported that he likes the acquisition of Velasquez.
“The dude can pitch.” Said Nate. “Anyone who can help us right now is good and I think he’ll be great here.”
With the Phillies losing 99 games last season, it earned them the No. 1 overall pick for 2016. The last time the Phillies had a No.1 pick, it was back in 1998, which ended up being Pat Burrell.
The Phillies remain silent on which they will draft, but many fans want the 17-year-old pitcher, Jason Groome.
Groome attended Vanderbilt University and as a junior, he pitched to a 5-0 record and a 1.22 ERA with 81 strikeouts and nine walks in 43 innings.
Jimmy Finley, 20, from Lower Makefield, sports major at Bucks reported that the Phillies should select Groome with the No.1 pick.
“It’s a no-brainer really.” Said Jimmy. “Flat out, he’s the best pitcher in the draft and we will improve quicker with him on the team.”
Alec Forester, 20, from Levittown, sports major at Bucks reported also that he wants to see Groome in Philadelphia. “I think they have to get this right and draft him.” Said Alec. “Groome is one of those one of a kind players and we need to get him.”
Other potential suitors for the Phillies are 20-year-old Florida south-paw AJ Puk and Oklahoma right-hander 21-year-old Alec Hanson.
Fans may have to suffer another season or two with the Phillies not making the playoffs, but with what they have and the direction they’re headed, they could become a title contender once again in the not so distant future.