Bucks doesn’t fall short for fall sports

The fall semester at Bucks is the first showcase of the work put in by the athletic department to secure facilities and equipment for a wide range of sports, and Assistant Athletic Director Justin Burroughs spoke about the work that was done this summer in preparation for the 2016-17 athletic season.
This year’s major upgrades include a new gym floor for the Volleyball and Basketball teams. Also a leveled out infield and a brand new pitching mound for the baseball team and a dedicated field for the softball team, as well as new uniforms.
In an effort to keep the returning athletes comfortable, “the upgrades will lead to no real changes to the locations or scheduling of practice,” said Burroughs.
The Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Tennis teams all have their own facilities on campus and are able to schedule their practices freely. The men and women’s Soccer teams, however, share a field and when they both need to practice at the same time it does get tight.
When asked about the impact of the upgrades on the performance of the athletes, Burroughs said, “Hopefully it will give the teams a sense of pride and professionalism.” Burroughs later added, “It will also be used to attract others to come to the college as students or guests.”
Balancing what needs to be done sooner rather than later is an important responsibility of the athletic department to ensure the athletes all have adequate resources. “We would like to be smart with our spending and not use everything up quickly,” Burroughs said.
There are plans for leveling the primary soccer field and adding a new practice field to alleviate the congestion between the two teams, along with redoing the bleachers in the gymnasium to match the new flooring.