Gallop Forth with the Bucks Equestrian Club

If you want to test your love for animals and establish the ancient connection of horse and human, then checkout the Equestrian team, the competitive horse-riding sport here at bucks led by Amanda Ernwright.

Ernwright states, that when people think of the sport, “I want people to think of the partnership between the rider and the horse”.

Ernwright got her start as many riders do and mentions, “I started riding when I was 5 years old and fell in love with it the minute I sat on my first pony.”

It was at this young age that the horse left a deep impression on her. Riders are expected to clean, care, and dress their companions for training, events and competition purposes. It all plays a role with riding and riders become to enjoy it.

However, such a sport does come with some consequences. Much like any athletic activity, participants will be exposed to the prospect of injury; football may have concussions, and hockey may have fights, but equestrian has the unpredictability of another living being.

Being kicked or hit by a horse is not uncommon during preparation. Ernwright also says that “one of the main facets of the sport that many people are dissuaded from is the danger of falling off. Not to mention telling a 1000+ pound animal what to do on your terms”.

It is these dangers and the reputation of the sport for the danger of falling and causing irreversible damage that causes many parents to withdrawal the sport from the prospective future of their children.

During a competition, the rider is responsible for directing their horse through different drills that exhibit their control of the animal and the fluidity of their motions.

Going a light trot while the rider keeps their back straight, or the well-known course of a horse jumping over bars set at various heights compose several of the competitions in Equestrian.

Judges then look at a rider’s ability to control the horse and how smooth they were able to run through the requested activities.

It is not simply the dangers, but also the finances involved with equestrian, that can cause people to shy away from competing or getting into Equestrian in the first place. Many people state that equestrian is “only a rich white people sport.”

When asked what she thinks of this statement, Ernwright says “My first response is me just laughing. I have seen some of the most skilled riders, who don’t have 2 nickels to rub together, be extremely successful.”

There may be a reputation that exists of equestrian being a sport for those who come from more privileged backgrounds.

That background does not exempt riders from hard work. “You still need to know how to ride and you need to have the drive to put in the hours upon hours needed to become a successful rider.”

Not every rider needs to have their own stallion or pony that requires a diet of champagne and 5 star imported grains. Hard work does not differentiate from person to person, but instead, is what separates 1st place from 7th place.

Last Spring the equestrian team closed out their last competition with a 3rd, 6th, and 7th place spot. The team is looking to improve their skill, and even take on new members. If you are interested in developing the ancient bond of Human and Animal, and would like to test your skills at competing against other potential riders, then checkout the Equestrian team here at Bucks.