New Staff in Bucks’ Career Center

Bucks has recently hired a new staff for its career center.

The community college is known rather well for its innovative educational opportunities with a national reputation, so why was a new staff needed?

Cheryl Bonner, the director of Alumni for career services at the college, has taken another position at Penn State University. The college wishes her the best of luck, but was left with a position to fill.

The new staff includes, Mandy Riley, career services coordinator. Carol Brandt, administrative supporter. Christine Hagadorne, assistant dean of student planning and director of testing and retention.

Riley, took the new position to work in a group effort to set goals to educate students in achieving their own goals. The new staff’s goals as she stated, ” to focus on student planning for the next phase in their life, employment.”

These services are to prepare students to transfer to four-year institutions and prepare themselves for the workforce that lies ahead. Also, to enhance students’ performance in the workplace and give them support and services.

In this change of staff, the career center has to serve its alumni, community residence, career counseling, academic advising, transfers, job search and strategies.

Some of these strategies include, setting up resumes, cover letters, and interviewing skills. Riley and her team are enthusiastic about reaching these goals and helping every person in need.

The new staff is confident and not at all overwhelmed and is looking forward to the social and ethical responsibilities for its student’s success.

From a student’s perspective, Mital Patel, a 20 year-old nursing major, from Bensalem has visited the career center and has found it very helpful. Patel, somewhat shy and timid found how easy it was to just walk right in the center and get the information she needed almost immediately. She was presented with pamphlets and brochures of colleges and applications for those colleges right then and there.

“The staff showed real compassion and consideration with all of my questions pertaining to transferring to another college.”

The career center also went over all of Patel’s existing credit from Bucks to see what credits would exactly be transferable.

Bucks County Community College’s affordable, convient and comprehensive educational training work hand in hand to equip their students for success.

The Career center is open Monday thru Thursday 11am to 8:30 pm. and Saturday 9am to 12pm.