Reality TV Creator Passes Away

Reality TV Creator Passes Away

Mary-Ellis Bunim, producer, executive producer, and co-creator of MTV’s ‘Real World’ passed away in Burbank, California on Jan. 30 after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 57.

She began her career with being executive producer for famous soap operas

like,”As the World Turns,” Santa Barbara” and “Loving” but her fame truly began in 1987 when she joined with Jonathan Murray (who was involved with TV news).

They started their company, Bunim/Murray Productions, and the reality began.

Instead of having actors with scripts, they both wanted real people with real stories, ultimately leading to MTV’s ‘Real World’ in 1991.

Eventually Bunim/Murray Productions added to the trend with ‘MTV’s Road Rules,”Making the Band,’ Fox’s ‘Love Cruise,’ ‘Who wants to be a Playboy Centerfold,’ ‘The Simple Life’ and the 2003 reality movie, ‘The Real Cancun.’

The 14th season of Real World, set in San Diego began at the beginning of the year.

In a statement recently printed on MTV’s website, Murray expressed his sorrow about the passing of his friend and partner.

“Mary-Ellis was a one-in-a-million partner and friend, and I will always treasure our incredible years of collaboration,” he said. “Even as the family at Bunim/Murray Productions mourns her loss, we will honor her memory by remaining committed to her ideals of creativity, adventure and excellence, both on the screen and in our lives.”

Bunim is survived by her daughter, Juliana.