Gateway Auditorium renamed

Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, president of Bucks, announced the Gateway Auditorium will be renamed in honor of a Newtown couple’s generous $125,000 donation to the college.

Kevin Zlock, founder of Zlock and Coverdale, P.C., and his wife, Sima Zlock, administrator of the firm, said they made this donation because they believe helping people get an education, not only helps those individuals, but the community as a whole.

“I think [Bucks] is very vibrant and I think it has a very wonderful future,” said Mrs. Zlock. “I think it’s very important for people to support it financially, and in any way possible, because a lot of good things start here.”

Beginning in January 2015, the auditorium will officially bear the name “Kevin and Sima Zlock Performing Arts Center.”

The announcement was made at the start of Bucks’ 50th Anniversary Music Premier and Art Unveiling on Oct. 11 to the many attendees that gathered for the celebration that evening.

“The Zlocks have been very generous to the college and we just really value their involvement,” said Shanblatt. “They have a real passion for education and we appreciate that.”

In addition to their most recent donation, the Newtown couple donated $100,000 in 2011 to establish the Kevin Zlock Veterans Endowment.

The fund helps provide tuition assistance to veterans and their families at the college.

“They are so dedicated,” said Tobi Bruhn, executive director of the Bucks County Community College Foundation. “It’s just so great when community members show that level of support.”

In addition to supporting the college’s efforts financially, Mr. Zlock also donates his time, having just joined the Foundation’s board.

“I look forward to working with the Foundation to further their mission in raising funds, so that more individuals have access to the quality education Bucks has to offer,” said Mr. Zlock.

According to Bruhn, the Foundation will be administering the funds, but they don’t have a specific use planned at this time. “The Foundation will work with the college to make sure the money is used in the best possible way.”

The auditorium, a venue that hosts several musical and theatrical performances throughout the year, will carry its new name for the next 20 years.

“They wanted to support a space that would really benefit the community and benefit the campus,” said Bruhn.

“I think this performing arts center could really become a cultural center for the entire county,” said Mrs. Zlock.

Bruhn said they are very excited about the donation from both a campus and Foundation perspective. “This will enhance the campus environment and allow us to help our students in many different ways.”

“My wife and I both grew up poor and others paid for our education—through scholarships, grants and financial aid,” said Mr. Zlock. “We’d just like to return the favor.”