Students’ Thanksgiving Habits Reflect Diverse Traditions

With Halloween behind us, preparations have begun for Thanksgiving, a time when the families get together and everyone is bonded by one mutual thing, food. It’s a wonderful way to end the year, regardless of how it was.

There’s no stress of getting presents like you would have for Christmas or someone’s birthday. There’s no worry of getting candy and costumes to get in spirit. Just cook some food and get everyone together for a nice meal.

Throughout the years traditions of this holiday has changed from family to family. When talking to Bucks students around campus, I learned just how diverse the traditions had become. Shanzeh Khan, a 20 year old biology major at Bucks talked about how much her family enjoyed the holiday and says, “We don’t do turkey because it’s too big so instead we have chicken. Everyone gets assigned a dish, I usually do chicken and the dessert.”

She also states, “… with everyone’s different schedules it’s hard to get together for dinner. So thanksgiving is the perfect excuse.” Shanzeh lives in Morrisville and can’t wait for the holiday this year.

Another student Alizah Bangash, 20, living in Bensalem told me about what thanksgiving meant to her, “After dinner my family and I exchange gifts. It’s just something to show how much we appreciate each other.”

She went on to talk about how it’s the perfect way to spend quality time since there isn’t any school or work. Alizah is a biology major at Bucks and says that “It’s the perfect time to get together and appreciate everyone for who they are.”

There is always certain traditions that are not related to food on Thanksgiving. To Noman Sayed, 20 and lives in Bensalem. Sayed is a political science major at Bucks and loves watching football. He said, “The best part for me is watching the game with my family. I love sports and it’s the best when everyone’s screaming at the television.” He even went on to say those were some of his best memories.

Sometimes if you’re lucky enough you get to go to someone’s house for Thanksgiving and you don’t have to cook. Sebastian Avila, 20, political science major at Bucks, and lives in Warminster. Avila mentions that going to someone’s house is the best.

He spoke about how going to a family member’s house is less stressful, “I love my mom’s cooking, but sometimes it’s nicer to go eat, clean a little and come back home.”

Nayab Mian, 20, lives in Bensalem and a biology major at Bucks spoke about her traditions saying “I don’t usually cook much but I help out in the kitchen. The best part is dessert and my family likes to make so many different types!”

Her friend Maryam Shah, 24, who also lives in Bensalem and is a biology major said she couldn’t wait for the upcoming holiday. She said “I have a big family so when everyone gets together there’s about 30 people in a house. It’s crazy and loud but I love that and wouldn’t want it any other way.”

No matter how you celebrate, Thanksgiving or what’s your favorite part, the majority of everyone I interviewed said they loved spending time with family. Whether or not you eat turkey or chicken, watch the game or not, and even cook the meal itself, Thanksgiving will always remain a holiday that brings everyone together and celebrate the good things.