Wordsmiths put poetry in motion at Bucks

Wordsmiths, the Bucks Reading series is bringing writers to the colleges campus’s to give readings to both the college and surrounding community. These events are free and open to the public. It is sponsored by the College’s Cultural Programming Committee and the Department of Language and Literature.
Professors Stan Heim and Louis Camp started the Wordsmiths series in the late 1960s. Dr. Rackin now guides it with Chris Bursk assisting. The series has brought Pulitzer and McArthur poets to campus.
They often pair many extraordinary local writers with those of both national and international acclaim. These readings are noted to be fun, entertaining, moving, and inspiring. Associate professor of Language and Literature Dr. Ethel Rackin, explained how she became involved shortly after she began teaching at Bucks in 2010. She noted how much of a pleasure as well as an honor it has been working with Dr. Bursk and other colleagues on this riveting series.
It has been a very positive experience for Rackin. “It has enhanced my experience as a professor here at Bucks to be a part of bringing talented writers to our campus community,” she said. Her favorite part of working on the series has been seeing students “light up with inspiration” after attending a reading.
Wordsmiths currently working closely with the Cultural Programming Committee to make sure that the events they plan are serving the college’s and community’s interests. They are also expanding their outreach and publicity via email and social media.
One major aspect of what Rackin spoke about was how many of her students attend their first poetry of fiction reading at Bucks through the Wordsmiths series. Many have reported loving the events so much that they begin to go on and attend other similar events. Wordsmiths serves as an important educational vehicle for both students and readers alike by offering access to premier writers. “The series brings writers to life,” Rackin said.
Li-Young Lee will be speaking at the poetry reading with Vida Chu on Sept. 30 at 7:30 p.m. in the Zlock Performing Arts Center at the Newtown Campus.
This fall, there will be two world-famous poets reading at the Wordsmiths events. On Dec. 3, Wordsmith will also be holding a writers conference to benefit three organizations that work with LGBT youth.
Richard Blanco is scheduled to read with winners of the LGBT Youth Poetry Prize on Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Gallagher room at the Newtown Campus.
There is also a full schedule for the Wordsmiths series this spring. J.C. Todd and Ethel Rackin will be reading on Feb. 20 at 1 p.m. in Tyler Hall Room 142.
Lorene Cary, a renowned African American novelist will be speaking March 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the Orangery with Amy Small McKinney, a former Montgomery County Poet Laureate, and Yolanda Wisher, former Philadelphia County Poet Laureate.
For more information on the Wordsmiths series, visit the Bucks website which has its own page dedicated to their updates, news, and contact information.