Big Help from Bucks County Opportunity Council

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

The Bucks County Opportunity Council offers a helping hand to Bucks County residents who may be in an unfortunate situation and need aid to get back on their feet.

The Bucks County Opportunity Council (BCOC) is a non-profit organization that helps low-income families in the Bucks area. The organization has four locations across Bucks County in Doylestown, Warminster, Bristol and Quakertown. “It offers housing programs, food programs, emergency support, and aid to senior citizens,” stated Lee, a staff member of the council. Lee added, “These benefits are offered to Bucks residents only.”

Included in the BCOC program are special programs for Bucks students. Low-income students enrolled in a certification program or degree can qualify to apply for scholarships. The program can also provide students free support for tools such as books and technology to help complete work for classes.

The program can also deliver fresh food to the homes of those who need it every month. This is just one of the five key programs that can support those in Bucks County. Housing, food, economic self-sufficiency, weatherization and Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (VITA) are among the programs. According to the BCOC website, 48,638 people were helped between 2021-2022 with at least one of these five vital initiatives.

The BCOC has a core belief system on its website stating that they believe that people living in poverty are problem-solvers and fully capable of change. It believes that poverty is a complicated issue that cannot be helped with a “cookie cutter” approach. The program is prepared to handle complicated situations with the appropriate resources for those who need them.

The website’s about section also states that their main goals that have taken a primary focus are diversity, equity and inclusion. These goals are being adhered to with the idea of seeking to eliminate racial inequities and to advance economic stability in Bucks County through reducing poverty.

During the summer and winter months of the year which have much harsher temperatures, the Opportunity Council offers heating services. Lee said, “Heating and cooling are offered to those who are struggling and may be behind on their bills and payments. The council can repair the heating and cooling units for those who need them.”

The BCOC program was established in 1965 under then U.S. President Lyndon Johnson who had created a network of over 1,000 agencies across the U.S. with the goal of combating poverty. The agency has remained strong during its almost 60-year run with its continuing goal of battling poverty and creating self-sufficiency in Bucks County.

For more information on the Bucks County Opportunity Council visit www.bcoc.org where one can register and apply for any of the programs offered. The BCOC office on campus at Bucks is also open to student services in Office 11 of the Rollins Center. The office is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.