Native Americans entertain and educate Bucks students

Group that performed traditional dances and songs at Bucks

Kevin Tarrant, founder of the SilverCloud Singers, and a group of  Native American performers came to Bucks on Friday, Nov. 4 to put on an educational performance in the Gallagher room and change student’s perceptions of American Indians.
“A lot of people still think we fight cowboys with bows and arrow, hunt buffalo, live in teepees, and wear headdresses, but we work jobs here in America, go to school, and live lives just like regular Americans do,” said Tarrant.
Tarrant started the show by banging on a hand drum and chanting as the other dancers came into the room wearing colorful costumes of feathers and skins. “It is an ancient ‘Welcome Dance’ that Indians used to do when they were welcoming another tribe into their camp,” Tarrant said.
The dancers were Danielle Shenandoah of the Haudenosaunee Iroquois people, Robert Boyd of the Mille Lacs band of Ojibwe, Daniel Reese of the Ojibwa, Delaware and Sioux people, Joy Tone-Pah-Hote and her two daughters, Rozylynn and Robyn, of the Kiowa, Oneida, and Maya people.
The group performed a traditional dance known as the “Grizzly Bear Song,” an act symbolizing happiness and comfort, as well as the “Fancy Dance,” an Iroquois women’s social dance.
The “Friendship Dance” got audience members involved in a giant dance circle that rotated and twisted, leaving everyone smiling and laughing.
Angia Anderson, a social service major, thought the performances were enjoyable.
“It was interesting to learn to about the Native American culture,” she said.
Another student, Ginu Kodiyattu, said the costumes were the most appealing part. “These are things you just don’t see every day,” she said.
Matt Cipriano, the director of the Student Life program, was impressed when he said, “I thought it was fantastic. What I enjoyed most was learning the culture, the way of life, the importance of family and the role of women in the tribe.”
The roles of women were important in tribes, because they chose the chief and were often more revered than men.
The event was sponsored by Bucks’ Cultural Diversity Program and was meant to benefit the school’s KEYS (Keystone Education Yields Success) Program. KEYS is a grant-funded program that helps certain students to enroll in Bucks classes.
After the performances cast members discussed aspects of Native American life and culture.
Sheldon Raymor, a participant in the event, is a partner in a company called Urban Indian LLC that produces the Heyoka fashion line.
Raymor had a table with apparel from the company at the performance. The Heyoka clothing line takes traditional Native American garb and modernizes it. Items on Raymor’s table included dress shirts, ponchos, scarves, jackets and t-shirts.
The designer helped design dresses and clothing for 2007 Grammy nominee and eight-time  Native American Music Award winner, Jana Mashonee.
“I think it’s important that my products send a message and pay respect to my culture,” Raymor said.
Danielle Shenandoah, well-known in the U.S. for her bead designs and jewelry, agreed with Raymor when she said that her accessories symbolize her culture.
“I’m glad to be able to speak my native language with friends and family at these performances,” she said. “It lets people know our culture is still strong.”
Daniel Reese, a Wilkes-Barre native, has traveled all over the country performing.
“My grandparents and parents always taught me to do the right thing and to carry on these traditions,” he said. “I’ve tried to instill them in my kids and get them motivated about performing.”
Another performer, Robert Boyd, has traveled and performed extensively with Reese. He said  that these events are important because it helps keep Native American culture alive and present in people’s minds.
He said that Native American culture is important because the traditions and customs are becoming a dying art due to the U.S. government.
“This is who I am,” said Robyn Tone-Pah-Hote, another performer. “We have similarities, but each tribe has different cultures.”