Bucks glee club presents “A Very Potter Musical

If you are a “Glee” and “Harry Potter” fan, you’ll love “A Very Potter Musical,” which is what Bucks’ Glee Club will be performing on campus May 10 through May 12.
Kyle Bound, director and playing the role of Harry Potter, hopes it will help bring attention to the fledgling club. “It’s always been a personal favorite of mine and we are a new club so we needed a good musical to get our name out there,” said Bound.
The musical is a parody of J.K. Rowling’s series, based on the book by Matt Lang, Nick Lang and Brian Holden, with music and lyrics by “Glee” cast member Darren Criss and A.J. Holmes. The first production was on April 9, 2009 at the University of Michigan. After its run there, it became a hit on YouTube.
Sarah Mahony, 20, an elementary and special education major at Bucks, is playing the female lead Hermione Granger. “Hermione is an awesome role and I fell in love with playing her,” said Mahony. 
Mahony describes herself as a huge Harry Potter fan, having read all the books, attended all the preview book opening and waited to see every midnight showing. She enjoys working with the cast of the Potter musical, calling them a “great group of people.”
“We definitely have great chemistry and I really love being a part of an awesome show with them,” said Mahony. This won’t be Mahony’s first time in a musical, she’s played Aldonza in “Man of La Mancha,” Brenda in “The Pajama Game” and Cora Apple in “You Could Die Laughing,” to name a few.
Cast members agree the most stressful part of preparing for show time is juggling memorizing all their lines along with their heavy course loads. The spring rehearsal schedule required giving up Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. But they also agree it’s worth it.
Opposite of Bound and Mahony is Dave Piccinetti, 22, psychology major, playing the part of Ron Weasley. Piccinetti had this role practically fall in his lap.
“I was walking by the auditions, and people asked me to audition so I did. And I got they part, which was not expected,” said Piccinetti. “I’ve never done a musical before, and it’s been quite a ride thus far. Excited about the future.”
Although musicals are new territory for Piccinetti, he’s no stranger to the stage. He’s played Malcolm in “Macbeth,” Dogberry in “Much Ado About Nothing” and tons of improvisation comedy shows in Philadelphia, Chicago and New York. He’s even part of an improvisation group called “Deleted Scenes,” which is composed of Bucks’ Alumni.
There are currently 30 members of Bucks’ Glee club, with sociology and criminal justice instructor Sarah Jakub acting as advisor. “A Very Potter Musical” will be performed at 7:00 p.m. on Thur., May 10 and Fri., May 11, and 2:00 p.m. on Sat., May 12.
All performance will be held in the Gallagher Room on Newtown’s campus, and admission is free to the public.