After five years, Fall Out Boy reunites

After a six-year hiatus, pop-punk band Fall Out Boy has finally released a new single, “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ‘Em Up),” along with release dates for their new album and North American tour.

The new album, “Save Rock and Roll,” is set to release on May 6, coinciding with the 10-year anniversary of the release their first full-length album, “Take This to Your Grave.” The band will hit the road in early February and make a stop at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia on May 30.

If you’re wondering who Fall Out Boy is, you might recall some of their radio hits, “Sugar, We’re Goin Down,” “This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race” and “I Don’t Care.”  With their new release, the four-piece band consisting of Patrick Stump, Pete Wentz, Joe Trohman and Andy Hurley will hope to take back the pop-punk music scene they ruled in the early 2000’s.

After two years of speculation the band finally reunited after a 5-year album and 4-year touring hiatus, which left many longtime fans heartbroken. Yet, fans rewarded the band by placing their new single number 1 on the U.S. and U.K. iTunes charts in February.

The new hit begins with their signature powerful guitars, making a great intro for lead singer Patrick Stump’s strong vocals.  Stump’s immense vocal range seems to only have improved since the band’s 2008 album, “Folie à Deux.”

“It’s definitely not what I was expecting, but it definitely shows off what Fall Out Boy is capable of,” said Keri Blumenstock, 19, cinema video production major, who grew up listening to Fall Out Boy.

Yet, not everyone was quick to welcome the band back with open arms.

“Personally, I don’t like it. But bands go through changes as time goes on,” said Tim Peden, 20, a fan of the band since 2003.

Fall Out Boy has definitely changed over the years to more of a mainstream sound, deviating from their punk-based roots.

“I hope their new album will go back to what they know best, pop-punk and rock, nothing overproduced,” Peden said. Clearly, not all Fall Out Boy fans were psyched over the band’s musical direction.

Whether or not their new music can eco the sounds of past albums, their upcoming tour will at least give diehard fans a reason to get excited.

“(The bands lead singer), Patrick has always had a way with the crowd. Being able to relate to and capture a crowd is a difficult thing to do,” said Keri Blumenstock, who spoke passionately about past Fall Out Boy concerts she has attended.

After talking with fans of Fall Out Boy it was clear that not everyone was particularly excited about the new song. Hopefully, the band can revive fans interest in their new material just as they did with their sudden return to the music scene.

Either way, music lovers would be best served to give their upcoming material a listen.

Who knows, it just may become your new favorite record.