Justin Timberlake returns with “The 20/20 Experience”

It’s wasn’t too long ago that Justin Timberlake said that for the time being, he was done with music because he planned to focus on his acting career.

Yet, after a six-year hiatus from solo-artistry, Timberlake has decided to return to the pop limelight with his forthcoming album “The 20/20 Experience” that will hit stores March 9.

Breaking the news to fans in a recent video, Timberlake walks to a recording studio while explaining in voiceover why he had taken so long to record new material.

“I don’t want to put anything out that I feel like is anything I don’t love. You just don’t get that every day. You have to wait for it…I’m ready,” Timberlake said.

Timberlake’s music comeback was unquestionably the most eagerly anticipated appearance going into last Sunday’s 55 annual Grammy Awards. It was his first live performance in years; after an absence that had music fans worried they would only see him on Saturday Night Live appearances and in romantic comedies.

With trumpets blaring in the background, Timberlake performed his new single “Suit & Tie,” and showed off his dance skills much to the joy of the audience. “Suit and Tie,” is currently number one on iTunes.

Very few in the music industry have been able to take their boy band experience or teen fame and turn it into a thriving solo career. Ever since Timberlake traded in a part on The Mickey Mouse Club for a chance at boy band fame, his fate was sealed as an entertainment force.

In 2002, Timberlake released his debut solo album, “Justified,” which sold more than 7 million copies worldwide. The album was a commercial success, producing hits “Cry Me a River” and “Rock Your Body.”

Timberlake continued his success with his second solo album, “FutureSex/LoveSounds in 2006,” which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, producing the number-one hit singles “Sexy Back,” “My Love” and “What Goes Around Comes Around.”

In a letter to his fans, Timberlake explained how his newest project came about.

“What I came up with is something I couldn’t be more excited about! It is full of inspiration that I grew up listening to and some newfound muses that I’ve discovered along the way,” Timberlake said.

Timberlake explained his choice of name for his album, “The 20/20 Experience,” saying the idea came to him after a friend listened to the tracks and dubbed it “music that you can see.”

Though “Suit & Tie” sounds a lot like the typical music we’d expect of the star, “Mirrors” the second single released off his album, is clearly bowing to some of the more current trends in popular music.

The singer tweeted out the album cover, as well as the 10 new track listings late last Tuesday evening. “I wanted you guys to see this first!!!” Timberlake wrote.

The songs include: “Pusher Love Girl,” “Suit & Tie,” “Don’t Hold the Wall,” “Strawberry Bubblegum,” “Tunnel Vision,” “Spaceship Coupe,” “That Girl,” “Let the Groove Get In,” “Mirrors,” and “Blue Ocean Floor.”

This time we will see if Timberlake can bring sexy back and then some.