Bucks student musicians hit the big time

Last month after a gig at Rio Sports Bar and Lounge in Levittown two Bucks student musicians got the surprise of a lifetime.

John Sansores, 28, and Sean Salm, 27, learned recently that in the entertainment industry talent is directly proportional to how you network. Social media is currently one of the biggest outlets for unsigned bands and musicians to get their work out and try to establish a buzz about their sound.

Their band Colors received an unannounced endorsement from indie rock superstar and Circa Survive front man Anthony Green.

When Salm logged into the band’s Twitter account after a March 15 show he noticed something right away.

A notification popped up saying Green had re-tweeted a link to the group’s first single “Know When to Leave” with a message from the artist to his fans saying, “check these guys out.”

The tweet from Green immediately became a promotional goldmine for the fledgling band.

Within minutes of his post, the band received over 50 new “likes” on their Facebook page and was offered two show bookings within an hour. Salm said the band has continued to receive responses from new fans stating, “I heard about you guys from Anthony Green.”

“We really appreciate that he did that (for us),” Sansores said. “It just goes to show how down to earth he is.” Salm said he was floored by the gesture and earned a newfound appreciation for the popular singer.

“It’s nice to see a musician you respect and are a fan of be into what you are doing,” Salm said of Green.

Yet, the young musicians are no strangers to the music scene.

Salm is the ex-guitarist and mastermind behind former Lifeforce Records act Left to Vanish that toured from 2004 to 2010. Salm began playing while he was only a sophomore in high school.

Sansores has been playing and writing music for almost two decades now. He’s been a member of more than five local bands and more recently filled in on stage for the group Wrong Answer during the This is Hardcore music festival.

These two are joined by ex-members of bands such as This Day Forward and Like Lions in their newest project.

Sansores studied music theory at Bucks and Salm is a mostly self-taught tunesmith working toward a degree in business marketing.

Both play multiple instruments and have been writing songs together for four years now. Each musician plans to use their education at Bucks to navigate the complicated music industry.

“My experience as a student at Bucks was great,” Sansores said. “I learned a lot and all of the staff, especially the music department, was always there for me.”

Though a lasting career in music is not guaranteed by any means, Sansores enjoys the opportunity to make someone’s life better through song.

“Helping create that glue that brings people together with the common interest of your music is by far the best achievement,” he said.

When asked who their biggest musical influences were, both said that their fathers had been key in bringing music into their lives.

The band hopes to have their album out by this summer and tour in the fall.

Check them out May 15 at The Barbary, Philadelphia, PA and for booking or to hear their songs go to http:www.facebook.com/theshoundofcolors.