‘Bad Grandpa’ provides good comedy

‘Bad Grandpa’ provides good comedy

In its first week in theatres, the Jeff Tremaine directed movie “Bad Grandpa” starring Johnny Knoxville, came in number one among the box office by raking in $32 million.

This reality-comedy outshined highly-anticipated movies such as “Gravity” and “12 Years a Slave.”

In this film, Irving Zisman (Johnny Knoxville) plays the grandpa of an innocent child named Billy (Jackson Nicoll).

This movie is a product of the “Jackass” films and television shows. These episodes and movies obviously never had the best story line. In fact, they never had a story at all. The shows consisted of a group of crazy friends hurting themselves and they did outrageous acts in public. They filmed it secretly, and had a good laugh.

Although the plot to this movie is weak, at least there was one at all. Zisman is roaming across the country with Billy to apparently give him back to his real father. On their journey, there is multiple stops and each one is funny in its own right. Even though at some points the movie seemed to drag it was well written.

Throughout the movie, Bad Grandpa does various funny acts such as taking his pants off in a male strip club, leaving his genitalia hanging out. Also, Greg Harris plays Chuck, Billy’s long lost dad, and a hilarious scene is when they are in the bar, and grandpa gives Billy back to his dad. He causes a huge scene in the bar as he comes back in for Billy after he gave him up. The bar is full of a biker gang that is against abuse and neglect of children, which Chuck is expressing that he does. They threaten him, and let Grandpa leave with Billy, but before the scene cuts out, Grandpa crashes into one of the motorcycles of the bike club, causing a domino effect and knocking them all over.

On the other hand, there were some skits that simply were not too funny. The reaction they were looking for, they did not always receive. In one part, Billy pushes his supposed drunk grandpa in a cart through a drive-thru fast food place. The reaction of the workers was just laughter, and not much excitement was established in this scene. This reaction was present in a few other scenes as well.

The movie though, as a whole, could have you in stitches laughing until you tear up, but in order to know the hilarity, you must go see the film yourself.