Eminem fever takes hold

Eminem launched his newest album, the “Marshall Mathers LP 2,” with raving commercial reception, selling over one million copies in the first two weeks of sale.

Hip-Hop legend, Eminem, released his eighth studio album on Nov. 5, 2013, titled the “Marshall Mathers LP 2,” which was a sequel to his third studio album titled the “Marshall Mathers LP” which debuted in May 2000. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 100 and has not left the top spot since the release date.

The album was the second fastest selling album in 2013 behind Justin Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience.” Eminem managed to sell 792,000 copies the first week, which is impressive in a generation full of piracy. Within two weeks of release, Eminem added another platinum plaque to his collection by selling over a million copies after the second week of sales.

The “Marshall Mathers LP 2” is now Eminem’s seventh number one album in his career, and his eighth album, solidifying his title as a perceived “Rap God.” To be able to sell that many albums, as a rapper, at this point in his career is astonishing, considering most rapper’s careers don’t last for more than five years.

Although the album experienced commercial success, hip-hop fans seem to be on the fence about the album overall. Although the album does have many songs, such as “Rap God” and “Rhyme or Reason,” which showcase Eminem’s ability to be a lyrical genius, many express that the album was not what they were expecting.

“I liked the album overall, but he just isn’t the same,” said Bekka Cain, 18, Education Major. “Eminem will always be one of the greatest, but this album definitely does not compare to the original or the Slim Shady LP.”

Many Slim Shady fans seem to feel the same way. Although the album was great in many people’s opinions, a lot of people were expecting more from him because of the potential they have seen in his music previously. Perhaps the best from Eminem has already been seen.

That is very tough to conclude, considering the work that was put into the “Marshall Mathers LP 2.” Yes, it is true Eminem has lost a lot of his bizarre creativity and his production was more typical than usual, but Eminem has also been in the music industry for over 20 years.

Perhaps the album is just a sign of maturity for the rapper. Tracks such as, “The Monster” ft. Rihanna, and “Stronger Than I Was” show the overall growth of the rapper as a human being. That is a major shift from what Eminem used to rap about in the early years of his career.

“I think the album is a great album compared to the other hip-hop music released this year,” said Deshawn Jackson, 19 year old, psychology major. “If you compare the Marshall Mathers LP 2 to his previous work, you will be disappointed, but if you appreciate it for what it’s worth, you will enjoy it.”

The collaborations on the album also draw attention to many music listeners. Although he did not have many features, Eminem managed to pull some big names including pop-star Rihanna, and hip-hop’s new king, Kendrick Lamar.

The “Marshall Mathers LP 2” is a good album to listen to if you enjoy hip-hop or Eminem. The production was good, and the lyrics were good. This gave Eminem another solid project to look back on, and keeps his loyal fans satisfied. The “Marshall Mathers LP 2” is in stores now and available for purchase on iTunes.