“The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds:” review

“The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds” brings the world of Hyrule to the Nintendo 3DS in an all new adventure for Link, Zelda and Ganon.

“A Link Between Worlds” introduces the players to the alternate world of Hyrule, known as Lorule.

The game follows the standard Zelda template in terms of simple story, however, this is where the differences really end in regard to previous entries in the series. The main formula stays the course in the way that players, as Link, must explore the worlds, solve puzzles, kill monsters, and find treasure.

The game opens with an evil wizard resurrecting Ganon in order to absorb his previously attained triforce of power.

The evil wizard, Yuga, connects the two worlds, Hyrule and Lorule, in order to awaken Ganon. Yuga accomplished this goal by turning all of the seven sages into portraits.

Through a twisted turn of events, Link gains the ability to transform into a drawing and move along the walls.

“A Link Between Worlds” turns the traditional formula of Zelda on its head. Instead of following the standard method where players find a tool to help them through a specific dungeon, players use tools throughout the game. This has been the case in Zelda games for much of the past 20 years.

“A Link Between Worlds” changes this formula. Instead of finding items for specific usage, players have the ability to rent every item in the game from the near beginning. This allows the players to adventure and explore at their leisure.

The openness allows players to tackle the dungeons in any order, and is a wonderful throwback to the days of the NES, when Zelda first began.

The combat is extremely satisfying to partake in. The combat is very similar to the combat of the original “A Link to the Past.” The combat in “A Link Between Worlds,” however, is much smoother. This allows the player to experience satisfying and strategic gameplay.

Graphically, the game is a pleasure to look at. Textures are all smooth, and colors blend together nicely to create worlds that truly feel as though they are living, breathing and in danger. The enemies present beautiful threats, while harmless fauna remind you that not everyone is out to kill you.

In terms of sound, the quality could not get much better. The pure quality of the sound is much higher than many of the other games currently on the system. The music presents wonderful throw backs to the past of video games, explicitly older Zelda games.

“The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds” is not without its problems, however. The game, like its predecessors, features a menagerie of enemies and bosses. While there are tons of different enemies, many seem to be stronger re-skins of previously encountered enemies.

Many of the bosses fail to offer the massive experiences offered in full 3D titles such as “Ocarina of Time” and “The Windwaker.” This is not to say that the bosses are not challenging or fun. The bosses manage to be intriguing and different in every dungeon.

Together, the open world, challenging gameplay, and plethora of side quests make “A Link Between Worlds” one of the best Zelda games. in years.