Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman

Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death touched many individuals. Hoffman was a great actor snuffed out by drug abuse.

It is still left unknown as to what precisely triggered Hoffman’s heart to stop. Many have speculated that heroin had a critical role in his death.

“Just because he did drugs didn’t make him a terrible person… he was still a straightforward professional actor. Anyone who does heroin knows they’re taking a risk with their life… When you are taking the drugs, you are well aware of the people you are hurting and want to keep it a secret.” said John Kardos, 19, history major from Washington Crossing.

Kardos has a sympathetic attitude towards people like Hoffman and their battles against addiction as he struggled in a battle with drugs and depression himself.

Hoffman was 22 when he announced publicly that he was done with drugs and alcohol for good. Unfortunately, over recent years he began to struggle with drug and alcohol abuse once more, and many speculate that this led to his death.

Students of Bucks found his passing hard to believe, due to the fact that he’s played such significant roles in recent popular films like: “The Master,” “Boogie Nights,” “Capote,” “The Hunger Games,” and “Money Ball.”

Professor Queeney of Bucks’ communications department stated, “The guy just brought incredible depth and I’ve always enjoyed watching him. …He was an actor that I always went out of my way to see, no matter what role he played.”

Student Tyler Cartolaro, 18 year-old Communications major from Philadelphia says, “I was surprised because I am very familiar with his work… he was great in ‘Money Ball.’”

And the man was. Seymour was nominated for Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, Golden Globes, and much more. Clearly he had outstanding talent as an actor.

Students like Matt Hoffer, 20 year-old psychology major from Churchville had a lot to say about Hoffman’s sudden death. “He could honestly play anything. He never got the acclaim that he truly deserved until his role in Capote, for which he won an Oscar. If I could have anyone star in a movie about my life, it would be him.”

Students like Justin Walko, 20, Communications major from Doylestown said, “I feel like that’s what a lot of stars go through… they should be more careful because so many other people have died due to drugs in the past. It’s best to not mess with drugs or even start them based on Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s situation.”

There seems to be an unfortunate trend sweeping through America’s list of beloved celebrities these past few years, with the deaths of Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse, and Cory Monteith all occurring under drug and alcohol related incidents.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was taken from Hollywood much too soon. He was a man of many talents. Hoffman could play any role that was thrown in his direction. Sadly, he leaves behind his three children and wife.

Drugs like heroin are severely addictive, changing people’s lives forever.

For students and professors at Bucks who remember Hoffman’s work and abilities, his legend will live on.