“The Martian:” Out of this world

It’s been almost a whole year since we’ve seen Matt Damon on screen in Christopher Noland’s, “Interstellar.” This year, he’s back with a stunning performance as Mark Watney in Ridley Scott’s, “The Martian.”
Based on the New York Times No. 1 best seller by author Andy Weir, “The Martian” is “Cast Away” (2000) meets “Apollo 13” (1995). The story encompasses the trials and misfortunes of Astro-Botanist Mark Watney (Damon), who is stranded on Mars after being mistaken for dead during an accident. Watney must use his botany skills and engineering know-how to survive on a desolate planet “where nothing grows.”
Known for critically acclaimed films such as “Alien” (1979), “Gladiator” (2000), and “American Gangster” (2007); renowned director Ridley Scott tackles Weir’s novel with impressive visuals and immersive ambiance. His approach to the new film takes on a similar style to that of his other sci-fi films like “Prometheus” (2012) and the T.V. miniseries “Halo: Nightfall”.
Despite the fact that the film is about a lone astronaut stranded on Mars struggling to deal with the planet’s inhospitable elements, Damon does a terrific job of personifying Mark Watney’s sense of humor in the face of overwhelming odds. He is joined on screen by an ‘A’-list cast, including supporting actors Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels, Michael Peña and Chiwetel Eljifor.
While the film’s run time was a little lengthy, rounding out at about 141 minutes, Scott manages to keep you immersed in this world the whole time. There are many twists and turns in the movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Film Major Erich Rayher, 19, of Holland states, “I thought the Martian was possibly the best movie of the year to date. I think it’s a tie between that and “Sicario.”
The film does have a 3D option, but there are really not enough scenes that require one to wear 3D glasses. The glasses actually tend to easily disorient viewers in this particular film. It is probably best to save yourself the extra $6 and see the film in AV.
Liberal Arts major Chad Sabourin, 19, of Holland saw the film and said, “The Martian” was a well-acted film. Matt Damon gave a very comedic performance. The film itself was extremely entertaining and what I believe to be Ridley Scott’s return to form. Not only was it a well-shot film, but also it was also intellectually stimulating. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars, and would definitely go see it again”.
“The Martian” currently sits as the no. 1 box movie at the box office. It deserves that spot.