Long Waits Between TV Seasons Are Causing Some to Lose Interest

The most frustrating thing for every Netflix addict is binge watching an entire series of a show, then having to wait a whole year for the new season.
“Orange is The New Black,” “Shameless,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Rick and Morty” are some of the many shows that take a year or more just to make 12 episodes. This common hiatus between seasons can certainly be annoying to viewers, sometimes causing them to lose interest in the show.
Meredith Taylor, 40, a nursing major from Penndel, expresses her frustration by saying, “I used to watch a lot of TV, not so much anymore. I love “Greys Anatomy” and “American Horror Story”. But the waits can be annoying, because I can lose interest or forget what happened during the previous season.”
The phrase “good things come to those who wait” might apply to TV shows, because although it may be hard to remember what happened a year ago in your favorite show, there are some benefits that come with the wait. These long waits could have to do with the quality that is expected of these shows from the fans.
Colin Morris, 20, a paralegal major from Richboro, looks on the bright side of the long breaks saying, “I mean what are you going to do? It sucks, but with Rick and Morty they took a year and a half off due to their perfectionism. It depends on the individual show.”
This is an interesting point because although it may be annoying to the viewer, the year long wait could actually be beneficial due to the creators wanting to put out the best possible quality of entertainment.
But what if the season quality isn’t up to par? Cherry Kivumbi, 20, a communications major from Fairless Hills, makes this valid point by saying, “I feel like the quality could be improved from breaks between seasons. But sometimes the quality doesn’t improve in a year so I feel like I wasted my time waiting.”
The only other logical reason for these long breaks are due to issues like, scheduling between actors and producers, renewal contracts for more seasons, and other technical factors behind the scenes. Michael Mcdowell, 21, of Levittown, who is an avid TV junkie understands this technical difficulty, “I get annoyed waiting sometimes a year and a half for that new season, I understand that these actors and everyone else who is involved in the process of shooting television shows are busy and these masterpieces take some time.”
The long breaks between seasons for your favorite TV shows will always be a blessing and a curse. Although it can be irritating to wait; quality, perfectionism, and logistics take time, but are definitely worth it in the end.