Awesome Mix, Volume 6: Summer Send Off

When music is the soundtrack to your life, you don’t put crappy songs in the queue. That’s why we’re giving you Awesome Mix, an award-winning column that’s exactly what it sounds like. In every issue, you’ll get a unique playlist full of songs that are actually worth getting stuck in your head. Your earbuds will thank you.

These are the times that try students’ souls. Finals are looming in closer and closer from the horizon. Spring was…delayed. Graduation dues are, well, due. Game of Thrones won’t be back for another year. Hot coco’s out of season.

Through these dire straits, yours truly has been sustained by one hope above all hopes: the promise of summer. While it’s our shortest season (that seems to be getting shorter), countless movies, books, and songs have painted it as one of endless possibility. Those summer nights? Crazy hijinks? A paid internship? Spending all season at the shore? For three sweet, brief months, you do it all and live off the memory through the coming wintry school year.

And the best way I know to keep memories alive is a soundtrack. From club anthems to mellow melodies, this mix has all the track you’ll need for every BBQ, road trip, and tanning session you do.

Doh Play Dat: Machel Montano
I’m calling it now: summer 2018 will be the summer of soca! For those who don’t know, soca is a style of dance music from Trinidad and Tobago. Think of it as modern calypso. Throwbacks like “Hot Hot Hot”, “Tempted to Touch”, and “Turn Me On” are soca hits that managed to make it big on our American billboards. But Machel Montano’s banger here deserves a top spot on this year’s charts.

I Like It: Cardi B ft. Bad Bunny & J. Balvin
What, you don’t wanna party with Cardi? Well, we’re gonna baila anyway, okuurt? Cardi takes the classic party jam “I Like It Like That” and gives it her unique spin. With the perfect mixing of hip hop and salsa beats, this one is going to be everywhere this summer.

Make Me Feel: Janelle Monae
Oh yes, another fresh release that will takeover the airwaves! Not only was I too hype for Janelle Monae’s return to music, but for her to release this sexual anthem that was both inspired by and worked on by the late, great legend Prince?! I reacted the only way one could: I put the beat on repeat until it saturated whatever part of the brain controls my dancing skills. So I’ll be dancing to this ‘till the end of August, or time. We’ll see.

Lover Boy: Phum Viphurit
“Summer lovin’” gets a chill, modern treatment by the Thai-Kiwi Jack Johnson himself, Phum Viphurit. A slick bass bubbles under some smooth vocals as he tries to woo his dream girl. It’s catchy and swoon-worthy, perfect for those summer nights.

Island in the Sun: Weezer
Whenever the sun stays long enough for a beach day, play this as you lounge in the sand. This classic is what summer’s all about.

This Magic Moment: Ben E. King
One of the ultimate summertime movies is the 1993 kid classic The Sandlot. If you haven’t seen it, you’re killin’ me, Smalls. But for those who have, I’m sure you remember the scene when Squints fakes drowning in order to make out with the lifeguard, Wendy Peffercorn. This song starts the second he locks their lips. And it’s way better than “Under the Boardwalk” as far as summer golden oldies go (yes! I said it!).

4th of July (Asbury Park): Bruce Springsteen
Have you ever walked on the beach as the sun was setting? This is the sound of the feeling you have when you do.

Summertime: Will Smith & Jazz E. Jeff
Did y’all really think we were getting out of this without Philly’s #1 summer throwback?! How else would you know it’s time to sit back and unwind?!

Doo Wop (That Thing): Ms. Lauryn Hill
This August, Lauryn Hill’s landmark album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill will be 20 years old. It’s the only studio album she ever released, and she continues to tour it to sold-out crowds. And yes, she will be touring it this very summer. You best believe I’m getting my ticket to hear my favorite album, especially this now legendary first single. If you don’t know, learn. If you do, may it take you back.

Soy Yo: Bomba Estereo
Bomba Estereo doing what they do best: bringing important messages to a catchy, danceable beat. “Soy Yo” is Spanish for “I’m Me”, and this song is an anthem about being unapologetically you. It’s needed every day, but I think y’all can take it with you this summer as a reminder to be bold as the sun. Go out for that internship, and crush it when you get it. Embrace whatever bod you have as your beach bod. Have that summer fling– or two, or 5! Rediscover all the passions you put aside this school year. Be you. Just don’t forget sunscreen and shades!

To find the playlist on Spotify, search “AM#6_Summer18Sendoff”.