Holiday Movies Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

The holiday season is approaching and there are many films that are coming soon to get everyone in the mood, a collection of different genres for any movie fan.

Since the rise of streaming apps the theaters haven’t gotten the attention they used to. Student, Michelle Gerber, 20, Dublin, an education major says, “It’s cheaper to stay in and watch Netflix rather than leaving the house to go see a movie that is more expensive.”

The box office has dropped, again, but it does often have a sudden increase for movies such as the remake, “Halloween.” Vanity Fair reports, “Halloween” Dominates Box Office with Second-Highest October Opening Ever.” Horror films are usually popular for an 18 to 49 demographic, especially college students.

The fall season is when the Oscar-contending movies hits theatres. These are the films that will most likely be nominated for an Oscar. Biopics like, “Bohemian Rhapsody” starring Rami Malek comes out Nov. 2. It is about Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen and it chronicles his rise to stardom up until the 1985 Live Aid concert.

Another interesting biopic coming out on Christmas is, “On the Basis of Sex.” It is about U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is portrayed by Felicity Jones. It highlights her obstacles and struggles to become the second woman in the Supreme Court.

Family films are great for all ages. Jen Dove, 18, Rushland, a drama major, commented “I might be 18, but I do love all the kids’ movies especially the animated ones!”

“Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch,” which hits theaters Nov. 9, is a new animated take on the timeless Dr. Seuss book. This time it is voiced by British actor Benedict Cumberbatch.

The highly anticipated “Mary Poppins Returns” comes out on Dec. 19, just a little less than one week to Christmas. This new take on the 1964 classic has Emily Blunt filling the role originally occupied by Julie Andrews. This time the film focuses on the Bank’s family and the son Michael’s children.  According to Rotten Tomatoes, 97 percent want to see this film.

Josh Safranek, 19, Newtown, a science major, said “I’m looking forward to seeing “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” because I’ve seen the prequel and all of the “Harry Potter” movies.” “Fantastic Beasts 2” comes out Nov. 16 with Eddie Redmayne reprising his role as magizoologist, Newt Scamander.

Last but not least is the blockbuster movie that always makes the most money. This holiday season is the DC Comic “Aquaman” which comes out Dec. 21, starring Jason Momoa as the lead. It tells the story of how the character, Arthur Curry, became the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis.

Bill Halbom, 20, Doylestown, an English major, said,  “I look forward to all of the superhero movies that come out, so I will definitely be going to the movies to see this one.”

This holiday season should definitely be a good one with the lineup of exciting movies to come!