“Sex Education” Teaches the Audience All the Right Things

Despite being awkward, “Sex Education” is a thrilling and hysterical British comedy/drama that has viewers stunned, shocked, and in disbelief.
The Netflix series was created by Laurie Nunn and premiered in 2019. It not only throws inappropriate laughs and sex jokes at the viewers, but also hits them hard with serious issues like body-shaming, homophobia, bullying, anxiety, promiscuity, and even abortion.
The story follows the complicated life of Otis, played by Asa Butterfield, an awkward teen who’s incapable of masturbation or sex. With his classmate, Maeve, the two create a secret sex clinic for troubled teens at their high school. Otis and Maeve have trouble getting their business idea going at first but with one good therapy session things are up and running.
The series also follows Otis’ mother, played by Gillian Anderson, as a strange and intruding sex therapist that crosses her son’s personal boundaries. Otis’ mother is so intruding that this simple line she says, “I know you’ve been pretending to masturbate and I was wondering if you wanted to talk about it,” to her son sets the tone for the funny yet strange “nurturing” mother.
Otis’ best friend, Eric, is a homosexual who deals with homophobia, bullying and questioning his sexual orientation before finding his path in life. Eric’s many sisters and disapproving father are the least of his worries as Adam, the school bully and principal’s son, sees him as a punching bag.
Maeve, a troubled girl and Otis’ business partner, has the reputation of being the class “slut.” Although from a broken home, and barely worth a dollar, she has a special gift of writing that may be more trouble than it was worth. She also has to go through the most difficult decision in the show that has caused controversy not only in the United Kingdom but throughout the U.S. as well.
There are numerous awkward teen moments through this series that make you stare at your screen with interest.
This series is funny and strange with the uncomfortable topic of sex being exploited right and left. Not only is this series inappropriately funny but it also hits hard with drama and the serious issues that are facing teens and young adults everywhere in the world.
At its core, Sex Education is a coming of age story that will resonate with viewers and may even inspire others about the importance of making healthy decisions during sex. This comedy includes British people, sex, romance and all the other ingredients for a unique and loving experience. “Sex Education” has released season one with eight 45-minute episodes, taking new twists and turns in each episode.
After well received reviews according to Variety, Netflix has decided to confirm that a second season is in the works, just a couple weeks after the initial release of the series. According to the IMDb page, this new series has received numerous positive reviews with an average rating of 8.5 out of roughly 31,000 ratings.
This story hits its viewers hard while offering laughs and inspiring change to stand up for what you believe in.