Disney And Apple Take A Swing At Cable With Their Streaming Services

Cable TV has taken another blow after the announcement of two new streaming platforms, Disney + and Apple TV Plus.
Disney+ is set to launch Nov. 19 and will be home to Disney, Pixar, “Marvel”, “Star Wars” and much more. The site is said to have over 7000 movies and tv episodes ready to stream on opening day. Apple TV Plus will be available beginning Nov. 1 and will also feature tons of exclusive content.
Disney+ has plans on making the quality of their shows and films equivalent to the quality of Disney’s block buster films. The site will produce original films and series that will be spin off and sequels to Disney’s biggest franchises including “Marvel” and “Star Wars”.
Streaming platforms are starting to innovate new ways of streaming cable and original TV, causing the need for cable subscriptions to decline.
Streaming platforms have begun to include cable networks in their subscriptions. Hulu is one of the platforms that offers live cable TV as well as streaming content.
According to thewrap.com Comcast, Direct TV and Charter combined have lost 1.25 quarter million subscribers and the subscriber loss will only continue to drop in the second half of 2019.
As more streaming sites begin offering their own library of original movies and series, many question why there has not been an entire platform packages that would allow you to pay one price for multiple services, as opposed to individual subscriptions.
Cole Huebner of Montgomeryville and a small business management major at Bucks said, “I don’t mind paying for each platform because each platforms prices are cheaper or equal to cable package prices.”
There may be an argument about which streaming platform has the best content, but the majority of students around Bucks fall into the 139.26 million active Netflix users.
A strong case for Netflix’s popularity is that they do not run commercials. However, with new services like Disney+ and Apple Tv Plus, Netflix might have to find a way to maintain its mass popularity.
Bucks Student Nate Dunlap a business Major from Sellersville is one person who is not on board with favoring streaming.
“I prefer cable. It can be annoying at times to pay for each service individually and a package that puts all of them at one price would be much more convenient,” said Dunlap.
While others increasingly turn away from cable and towards streaming services, companies have begun to come up with ideas to keep users paying for subscriptions. Netflix started releasing interactive movies and television shows, in which the viewer has the ability to alter decisions a character makes in a movie or show.
As each streaming platform continues to have its own exclusive content the decision on which subscription to pay for grows more important.