Coda Wins Best Picture, but a Slap Steals the Show at 2022 Oscars

On March 27 of this year, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences held its annual awards show to celebrate the best films released between March 1 and Dec. 31, 2021.

This year’s ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles and hosted by Regina Hall, Amy Schumer and Wanda Sykes.

The ceremony had many history making moments such as actress Arianna DeBose becoming the first Afro- Latina and openly LBGTQ actor to win an Academy Award for supporting actress for “West Side Story.”

Actress Jessica Chastain won the Academy Award for best actress playing televangelist Tammy Faye Baker in “The Eyes of Tammy Faye.”

“CODA” became the first streaming-service movie to win best picture at the Oscars.

However, the moment that everyone will remember is when actor Will Smith went on stage and assaulted comedian Chris Rock for making an ill-advised joke at the expense of Smith’s wife Jade Pinkett-Smith.

While the joke may have been mild on the surface, remembrance of Pinkett-Smith’s hair loss journey created quite a divide amongst those in attendance, and watching at home.

Will Smith won the best actor Oscar for his film “King Richard”. This was Smith’s third Oscar nomination and first win.

Smith’s acceptance speech was full of declarations of love and protection. To some, it may have reflected the character which won him the Oscar. He even spoke of how playing the role of protecting the Williams sisters (on film) made him feel.

After the show Sunday night, the academy posted a statement condemning violence. Some academy members, like writer-producer Marshall Herskovitz, called for the academy to take disciplinary action against Smith.

“He disgraced our entire community tonight,” wrote Herskovitz on Twitter.

On an episode of the Ellen Degeneras show shortly after the incident, fellow comedian Wanda Sykes expressed concern over the Academy’s handling of the situation.

“You don’t get to just stay and watch the show after you walk up on stage and assault somebody,” she declared.

No charges have been filed by Rock following the assault and The Academy is now reviewing what steps to take.

2022 Oscar winners in top categories:

Best picture: “CODA”

Best director: Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog”

Best actress: Jessica Chastain, “The Eyes of Tammy Faye”

Best actor: Will Smith, “King Richard”

Best supporting actress: Ariana DeBose

Best supporting actor: Troy Kotsur, “CODA”