What Students Have Been Watching During COVID

2020 saw a drastic decline for the entertainment industry like we have never seen before. With the majority of Americans confined to their homes and movie theaters closed, streaming services offered an escape from the dreadful lockdown.

With highly anticipated movies being delayed and some TV series not allowed to film because of COVID restrictions, what movies and shows have students resorted to keep themselves entertained?

Many students seem to flock towards fantasy or historical series like “The Crown,” or re-watching the classic “Harry Potter” series.

Bucks student Kate Grey has been currently binging “American Horror Story” and Adam Sandler movies; a healthy mix of fantastical horror and unusual comedy.

Student Anfisa Blyumina is watching “Glee” and “Community,” two early 2000s comedies that are seeing another wave of popularity as many others are re-watching their favorite shows during quarantine. It seems as though TV shows that emphasize group effort and social interaction serve as a type of catharsis for viewers.

Student Nicole Purtell is having a blast binging “Bridgerton” and all of its romantic and fantastical elements. “It’s so good, I’m obsessed,” Purtell exclaimed.

Purtell also lamented “To all the Boys: Always and Forever,” the final installment of the “To All the Boys” Netflix trilogy starring popular teen actors Lana Condor and Noah Centineo. The trilogy is one of the most popular teen movie series on Netflix and has received mostly positive reviews from critics and fans alike.

As someone who lives for television and movies, I’ve been re-watching some of my old favorites like “Superbad” as well as experimenting with shows I thought I’d never watch like “Ink Master.”

Now that a vaccine is being distributed and COVID cases are going down, maybe the day will come when movie theaters open for business again. Some series have really lost out on streaming services, and some have really flourished.

Maybe theaters will lose their popularity or become a thing of the past now that we have streaming services and more people are streaming than ever. Only time will tell, but either way, hopefully the entertainment industry can rebound