Bucks Students Feel Pain at the Pump

unsplash
Courtesy of Unsplash

Mixed emotions surround the college community as gas prices inflate to levels we have never seen. 

Oil companies around the world have increasingly bumped up the price of oil causing gas prices to soar. Recently, underground fresh oil recovery has been problematic fraught with environmental concerns and decreasing supply. This has affected college students and how much they are spending at the pump. 

Kailey Marsden, a communications major, takes the majority of her classes at Bucks online because she is also a full-time worker.  

“I just think that the country’s got to do what it must do, and it does affect me because I do drive a lot. Like when I go to Maryland or like anywhere else that is a long distance. But I do not give my car a full tank of gas every time I fill up.” Marsden said. 

Marsden along with the other students, states that it would be easier to save for the future without inflation.  

“Of course, I want the gas prices to go down again. But it is honestly not too bad for me. I do not leave my tank completely empty before I fill it up. I fill it up when it is like half a tank, so it looks better in my bank account,” Marsden stated. 

Along with Marsden, other online students are having trouble paying for gas. 

Maddie Pollock is studying elementary education through Bucks online as well. She agrees with Marsden, that it does take a toll when she fills up her car. Her main reason for travel is work. 

“I do have to pay more for gas which sucks, but there is really nothing that I can do about it, so, I just fill it up a half a tank and then go from there,” Pollock said. 

All college students have difficulties with these prices, especially the students that attend in person classes.  

Centurion writer, Tara Birnbaun, also a communications major is worried and stressed over how much is coming out of her wallet when she must fuel up. 

“Well, I have spent almost double between traveling from home to school to work. And I am frustrated but hopefully it gets better soon!” Birnbaun said.  

Students from other campuses are worried about the fuel prices as they travel to classes in Newtown. 

Brooke Keller, an interpersonal psychology major, must travel from near the Perkasie campus, all the way down to Newtown to attend some classes. This can take a good chunk of change from her pocket to put into her car.  

“It is different than my situation a year ago when it was not really a problem to drive to Newtown. And now it is like you must pick up extra hours at work just to be able to afford gas.” Keller said.  

She recently took a trip to Virginia to visit a friend but thought of cancelling because she might not be able to afford the round trip with gas prices rising. 

“For somebody that is going to college and also working, it’s not a good time to be paying upwards of forty dollars for half a tank of gas,” Keller adds. 

Most students are hoping that prices return to pre-inflation numbers because gas prices now make commuting costly.