Donald Trump: The Republican Candidate

Donald J. Trump is the 45th president of the United States. Before becoming president, he had no prior government experience. He was a real estate mogul, businessman, entrepreneur, and reality star.

Trump grew up in New York to a very wealthy family. He attended Fordham University and has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania.

He took over his father’s real estate business and renamed it “The Trump Organization.” The organization built and renovated hotels, casinos, skyscrapers, and golf courses.

Throughout the course of his life, he has married three times. He married his first wife, Ivana, a Czech model who he shares three children with, Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric. He also has 10 grandkids. After a divorce from Ivana, Trump married actress Marla Maples, who he had daughter, Tiffany with. After divorcing Marla, he met his current wife and First Lady, Melania, a Slovenian model. They have a son named Barron together and have been together for 15 years.

In 2004, Trump hosted the show “The Apprentice” which was shot at Trump Towers and showcased celebrities doing project-based events to see who the best leader was out of the group. The show ran for 14 seasons and established Trump as a reality tv star.

Trump’s popularity from the show only benefitted him in his quest to run for President of the United States in 2016, when he accepted the Republican party nomination.

He went on to win the electoral college vote, although not the popular vote, and beat former First Lady, Hillary Clinton, to become the 45th President of the United States with the campaign slogan, “Make American Great Again.”

During his presidency, he has proposed a travel ban on several Muslim countries for security, as well as appealing the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. He withdrew from the Trans-Atlantic Partnership. He also wants to reinforce border security by designing a wall along the U.S-Mexico border.

After facing difficulties through his presidency, Trump was impeached on Dec. 18, 2019 on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. He was acquitted of all charges on Feb. 5, 2020.

Most recently in Dec. of 2019, the COVID-19 outbreak started in Wuhan, China, and spread worldwide. On Jan. 31, COVID-19 was officially classified as a public health emergency. Trump is widely known to have publicly played down the seriousness of COVID, attempting not to cause a state of panic in the American people.

Trump is also known for having a terrible relationship with the press and media. He is known for accusing the press of constantly writing “fake news.”

Trump currently has a poor approval rating with the public from the amount of times he has mocked the disabled, made misogynistic comments about women, and talked down about people in the military.

As far as accomplishments go as a president, Trump has passed record-setting tax cuts, achieved energy independence, replaced NAFTA with the US-Mexico-Canada agreement, and invested $2 trillion to completely rebuild the military.

Trump is running for re-election, and with trying to hold as many outdoor rallies as he can, he is determined to spend another 4 years in office.