Spotlight on ‘Go Bananas’ frozen yogurt

Spotlight on ‘Go Bananas’ frozen yogurt

Think back to when you were 10 years old for a moment. Do you remember going to TCBY Yogurt and getting a dish full of what was possibly the best frozen dessert ever?

Well, that feeling can be had again all around the Delaware Valley, thanks to the rise of many specialty frozen yogurt shops.

One of the leaders of this frozen treat revival is Go Bananas Frozen Yogurt, based in Richboro, PA.

Owners Josh and Nicole Hoffman took a flyer on opening the blossoming franchise after seeing a self-serve shop in Delaware.

“We really just though it was a great idea,” Josh Hoffman said. After some initial setbacks, Go Bananas opened in Dec. 2011, and has thrived ever since.

Hoffman says they had no projections or ideas on how business would go after opening, but being from Bucks, jumped at the chance to start the company in their own back yard.

“We knew we wanted to start things here,” Hoffman continued. Boasting 12 frozen yogurt flavors daily on a rotating basis and an varied variety of toppings, the company has built up a large following in a short period of time.

The most popular flavors include the staples, Alpine Vanilla and Ghirardelli Cable Car Chocolate, as well as Cookies and Cream and Cake Batter. They also offer some seasonal flavors, such as the quite tasty Pumpkin Pie.

Upon entering the Richboro location, you will find a very relaxed atmosphere. It’s a place where one could go to hang out and converse with friends, or do some homework by utilizing the in-store Wi-Fi network.

The flagship store in Richboro has a comfy seating area with chairs and tables, and a couple of couches. For the little ones, the shop is equipped with a chalk board and some small chairs.

In less than one year of operation, business has been consistent enough to allow the Hoffmans to open two additional locations, one in New Britain Township, which opened its doors in August, and one in Southampton, which will open in October.

They are also in the process of franchising the company.

“It’s just a nice place for people to hang out,” Hoffman remarked. “We’re not going to force you to buy yogurt. It’s just a great atmosphere.”

One employee, Molly Sandberg, echoed that sentiment. The College of New Jersey junior has been working at Go Bananas since May of 2011, and in addition to enjoying the relaxed atmosphere, didn’t hesitate to endorse the product.

“I love yogurt,” she said. “I thought this would be a fantastic place to work.”

Sandberg worked from 11:30 am to 5:30 pm, but the store is open until 9 pm Sunday through Thursday, and until 10 pm on the busy weekend nights, Friday and Saturday.

“It’s always busy at night,” remarked Sandberg. Indeed, it is most busy at Go Bananas in the evening: from roughly 6 pm to closing, and lines for the self-serve Electro-Freeze yogurt machines can get quite lengthy at times.

But, a packed house is just the way the Hoffmans like it.

Also in Northampton Township are: Red Berry and Swurlz Frozen Yogurt, both in Newtown, but Hoffman doesn’t worry about the potential over-saturation of the market in this area.

“We have a pretty good following,” he says. “I don’t think it will be a problem.”

Whether you prefer fruit flavor, or something a little more exotic, Go Bananas is sure to have something to satisfy any sweet tooth.

Go Bananas offers something for the kid inside of all of us, so the next time you desire a frozen treat, take a ride over to any of the three locations. It’s right in your own back yard.