A son’s view of heavyweight champion “Smokin Joe” Frazier

Joe Frazier holding his son Derek as a child.

On Oct. 19, I took a trip to Harrisburg, Pa. to attend the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame to represent and honor my late father, “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier.

For those that aren’t familiar with my father, he was one of the few boxers who held his own against Muhammad Ali more than once. In the “Fight of the Century,” considered by many the greatest match of all time, he defeated Muhammad Ali in Madison Square Garden. He faced Ali again in another great match, the so-called “Thrilla in Manila.”

My father was originally from Beaufort, S.C., a small town that sits right on the coast of the bay. He grew up on a farm with my grandparents, Dolly and Rubin, and his 12 brothers and sisters; my father being the youngest of all 12, kind of like me.

At first, my father wanted to join the military but his calling and passion lay elsewhere. A pugilist at heart, Frazier set out to New York City to follow his dreams of becoming the best fighter there was. While in N.Y., he met a Philadelphia native who told him that he knew a boxing coach back home who would make him the best champion in the ring. That’s when father met his trainer, Yank Durham, the man who pushed my father to becoming the “Smokin’ Joe” he became to all of us.

Inside the ring, he was “Smokin’ Joe,” but to me, he was many other things. For one, he was always ‘dad’ and he was one of my greatest role models. He taught me the ins and outs of life. One question everyone always asks me is “why not become a boxer too?” To this I always replied, “because my father- he didn’t want me to.” Instead, my father urged me to get the proper education he never received and become a business marketer.

However, growing up as “Smokin’ Joe’s” son has had its ups and downs. I had to grow up fast compared to my friends because I was always in the limelight with my father. People knew me as “Frazier’s youngest.” Having all eyes on me has helped me to deal with people, publicly and personally.

I, along with my siblings, were there for this ceremony to represent what most people know as a former heavyweight champion of the world. But to us, we were representing our father.

But it wasn’t just my father; different athletes from around the state were also inducted into the PSHF, including NFL superstar Aaron Beasley and swimming gold medalist Jeremy P. Linn. I had the opportunity to talk to some of these great players.

Beasley is from Pottstown, Pa., and is regarded as one of the greatest triathletes from the state. He excelled in basketball, football and track but he’s most recognized for his time in the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons.

Beasley said that “what makes this hall of fame (inauguration) different is that I am getting inducted along with ‘Smokin’ Joe’ Frazier – I’m one of his biggest fans!”

Linn said that “over the years, I have received so many different awards, medals and even broke worldwide records it’s too long of a list for me to go over but the big star of tonight is your father Derek, ‘Smokin’ Joe’ Frazier. I feel that he should have been in the PSHF a long, long, time ago but at least he’s in there now and I still can’t believe I’m right along with him – it’s an honor.”

The most interesting person I spoke with wasn’t an athlete, it was a 17-year-old kid by the name of Jimmy Wilson. He said that “Frazier helped me get through some serious bullying my freshman year in high school. I used to watch his (fights and interviews) on YouTube and the advice he gave about life helped.”

Wilson went on to say that he “wasn’t alive during his era but I feel as though every time I watch his fights, I’m really there! My father took the time to show me your father’s classics, I would have never got through my high school years without it.”

Although he’s gone, I was able to enjoy each and every moment by my father’s side, in and out of the public’s piercing eyes. The 19 years I spent with him have gone a long way; without him, I would not be the man I am today, and for that I am eternally grateful.