Habitat for Humanity club helping those in need

During this past spring break, Upper Bucks Habitat for Humanity club volunteered in Seminole county, Florida where they worked on a six-unit development and gave back to the community.
For the first time in 15 years, the Bucks’ Habitat for Humanity club traveled farther than reasonable driving distance to contribute their service.
In this trip to Florida, they accomplished hanging dry wall within the development and gave back to the Seminole county community.
Student Lydia Nolan from Perkasie stated, “One of the best parts of the trip is getting the reactions from the people we’ve helped and their gratitude towards us.”
Nolan has also attended the previous year where they worked on three different houses and worked with everything from wood, tiling, foundation work, and more.
The slogan of the program is “Not only Building Communities, but building relationships.”   According to Brian White, coordinator of the trip, “as cheesy as it is, our slogan couldn’t be more true.”
They tried to show less fortunate people that there is hope out there in the world and make their lives a little more comfortable.
He discussed how they spent the whole semester together, but their trip really defined who they were. Brian said, “a lot of us found friendships in unexpected places; we even had a particular couple find love.”
Nolan, also talked about the how she enjoyed bonding with her fellow Bucks students and making memories while giving back and making a difference in the lives of others.
With all their fun, it was stated how they still took it very seriously when they were working from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The club is a part of a worldwide non-profit organization whose purpose is to give back to communities, build homes, and give hope.
Members join the club because it’s an experience different than their everyday lives and jobs.
If interested in joining this club, contact Dr. Rodney Altemose at [email protected]   or Daniel Wassmer at [email protected]. The meetings for this club are held at the Upper Bucks campus.
If  the club doesn’t seem right for you, but you want to give back, you can donate to the Restore program of Habitat for Humanity.
For more information about Habitat for Humanity, and other ways to give back, go to http://habitatbucks.org/.