Celebrating the 10th anniversary of Record Store Day

Photo from Wikimedia Commons

April 22 marked the 10-year anniversary of Record Store Day.

This day is the ultimate holiday for vinyl enthusiast, especially because of its growing popularity and rare exclusives only available this specific day.

According to an article posted on wmot.org, “The LP surge has been one of the music industry’s few bright spots, with sales of new records rising steeply from about a million in 2007 to around 12 million today.”

This event started in 2008 as a way to celebrate independently owned record stores and their audience. More than 1000 stores around the world will be participating in Record Store Day as well as the announcement that Sir Elton John will be named the first-ever worldwide Record Store Day Legend.

“I love vinyl so much. The tactile nature, the ritual of it, looking at the sleeve… especially with the old albums and the liner notes- who played on them, the process of putting it on, the needle going on and the sound coming out. And it does sound better, I know it does. I’ve been around long enough to know, I’ve been in so many studios… It does sound better,” said Elton John.

Elton John sold his previous vinyl collection in 1990 at auction for $250,000, in which he donated to the Elton John AIDS Foundation. It is reported over the last two years; Sir Elton has amassed a collection containing over 7,000 pieces.

Elton John also plans on releasing an LP of his own titled, “17-11-70,” which will be pressed for 4,000 units. This was originally released in 1971, and was a live radio broadcast.

Some of the artists slated to have special releases on this day include but are not limited to: The Beatles, David Bowie, The Cure, The Doors, The Lumineers, The Ramones, Iggy Pop, The Sex Pistols, The Smiths, Balance and Composure, Sublime, and The War on Drugs. These releases range from box sets, standard LP’s, and 7” being both re-releases and new material. These releases are limited to a couple thousand to a couple hundred which makes them very coveted amongst collectors.

Siren Records, a local record shop located in Doylestown PA, will be participating in the festivities of the day and it will be a busy one. This day looks to bring in many fans and also revenue to independent shops. For any fan of this medium, Record Store Day is a must.

Next up, the fifth-year anniversary of Cassette Store Day.