Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Nipsey Hussle, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Tyler Seale, Centurion Staff

On Sunday, March 31st, 33-year-old rapper Nipsey Hussle was fatally shot at an event in front of his clothing store in South Los Angeles.
In the wake of his death, Hussle left behind positives in his life including a Grammy nominated album, as well as a catalog of activism. This activism was focused on aiding his community by creating self-improvement within it, financially investing back into it, and advocating for its youth.
The New York Times reported that a day after his murder, Hussle was supposed to meet with police and Jay-Z’s company, Roc Nation, in an effort to prevent gang violence and help the youth of his Crenshaw neighborhood. He also opened a co-working space dedicated to increasing diversity in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, while also helping and using his platform to promote black arts and culture.
Someone with a strong passion toward their community, as well as promoting positive messages through their music, being killed is a loss that is, unfortunately, far too common. Rap music and the community surrounding it have been losing prominent figures for years, such as the famous murders of Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur in the late 90’s.
This issue stretches far beyond the genre of rap music. Many great musicians over the decades have died young, leaving behind a massively loved catalog and inspiration for future artists. The 27 club shows this as it has become somewhat of a “statistical spike” for great musicians to die at the specific age of 27.
The 27 club holds members such as Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, and Kurt Cobain, whose music is still loved by generations of listeners who were not even alive to witness it first-hand. This shows the power of the art that these musicians make as their songs transcend their own lifespan.
Bucks students and faculty shared their favorite artists who died too young.
Sociology major Adriana Braun said, “My favorites were Mac Miller and Kurt Cobain.” Braun went on about what importance their music held to her, “It’s interesting based on your setting. If I’m with more people I listen to party rap music, but when I’m by myself I listen to Mac Miller and more sympathetic music.”
Quentin Bailey, a Bucks student, said, “Two big ones that died in the same year for me were Mac Miller and Avicii. I started listening to them a lot in high school.”
Melissa Joy, Journalism major, said, “I would say Chris Cornell was my favorite. His music helped me through bad times with my family and a bad break up. I found myself forgetting everything that was going on around me when I listened to him. It was a shame he died in 2017. I wish he was still here making music and singing with Chester from Linkin Park.”
Language and Literature professor at Bucks, Dr. Chris Bursk cited John Lennon and Sam Cooke as some of his favorites, both of whom were fatally shot at highpoints in their careers. Bursk said, “These murders seemed to have happened out of nowhere to pivotal musicians whose music had great influence. Music became the new literature in the 1960’s and 1970’s and the poetry from Lennon was so accessible to people that he became our Shakespeare. It was like someone gunned down Shakespeare and it leaves me wondering what his life would have been like if he had not got shot. Would he have kept evolving to shaping music and his listeners?”

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Reporters Give Students a Look Into News Business at Yearly Forums

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Bucks Increases Tuition by $15 a Credit for Fall 2019

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Conquering the Paralyzing Effects of Anxiety

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Secret Shopper Scam Sent to Students

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Bucks News

Students and Staff Advocate for Increased Funding at the Capitol

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Bucks News

Big Changes for Business Department

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Bucks News

Faculty Say Repairs Needed in Grupp Hall

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Bucks Gears Up For the 20th Annual Journalism Forums

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Features

Historic Tunnels Under Tyler Hall

• Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle

Governor Tom Wolf Pushes for $15 Minimum Wage

Bucks Students Remember Nipsey Hussle