Never Forget

It was a beautiful sunny day with a crystal blue sky, just like it was 11 years ago on this exact day. People from all over Bucks County gathered at The Garden of Reflection, located in Lower Makefield, for the annual ceremony remembering those who lost their lives on that tragic day.

The ceremony began with the ringing of a bell marking the 11 years since Sept. 11, 2001. Larry Schwalm, of the Yardley Makefield Fire Company, rang a bell at 8:46, 9:03, 9:37 and 10:03, symbolizing each attack on the two towers, the Pentagon, and the plane that crashed in a field in Shanksville.

Looking around during the ceremony you might expect people to be talking about their loved ones and remembering where they were that day, But there was not a single word spoken during the ceremony. The people who attended were full of sadness for the lives lost 11 years ago.

In the garden there is a circular glass memorial that is etched with the names of all 2,973 people who lost their lives. As you walk through you come to a smaller circle that has two water fountains that represent the two towers. In front of that fountain is a smaller glass memorial etched with the names of the 18 residents from Bucks County who were killed.

This garden isn’t just to be visited on 9/11; it is a garden that you can go to year round and remember those who were lost.

Ellen Saracini and family members of five other Bucks County victims created the memorial with hopes that one can enter with a feeling of sorrow and grief, but leave the memorial with a feeling of peace and serenity.

The planning for the memorial began in 2002 with a fundraiser to honor the loved ones who were lost. The memorial committee continued to grow with more than 3,500 donations back in 2008. People come from all over the world to visit this peaceful garden year round, but every year on 9/11 is when the biggest crowd attends. Before and after the ceremony visitors are more than welcome to walk through the garden and take pictures.