A heated veep debate

Vice-President Joe Biden and his Republican challenger Paul Ryan went on the offensive in the Vice Presidential debate at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.

Moderator Martha Raddatz kept a much tighter control on both candidates as they went all out on explaining both their domestic and foreign policy to the United States.

The heated issue of bringing back soldiers from foreign countries was discussed. Biden has set the date to bring back all of the soldiers by 2014. He stated there would be “no exceptions” in this.

Ryan replied to this statement that he and Romney both want to do the same and ideally bring back soldiers by 2014. However, they do not want to confine themselves to a set time. Ryan explains this by saying “We don’t want to broadcast to our enemies ‘put a date on your calendar, wait us out, and then come back.’”

Another conflict was when the debate turned to how the candidates would deal with terrorist attacks like the assassination of the American ambassador in Libya.

Biden established that the assassination was a grave loss to the community and he decreed to make two promises to the public if he and Obama were to be re-elected.

“One, we will find and bring to justice the men who did this. And secondly, we will get to the bottom of it, and whatever — wherever the facts lead us, wherever they lead us, we will make clear to the American public, because whatever mistakes were made will not be made again.”

Ryan also deemed the assassination a great loss to the American people. His response to combatting terrorist attacks, especially in foreign countries was gain speed in acknowledging a ‘terrorist attack’ and to provide more armed forces to protect American ambassadors.

“Our ambassador in Paris has a Marine detachment guarding him. Shouldn’t we have a Marine detachment guarding our ambassador in Benghazi, a place where we knew that there was an Al Qaida cell with arms?” Ryan stated.

Overall the foreign policies of both tickets described a desire to get soldiers out of warring countries. However, while Biden claims that he and Obama will get soldiers home by 2014, the Romney-Ryan ticket is not as willing to set an exact date.

Upon moving onto the domestic side of the debate the two candidates immediately launched into jobs and how they could be regained for the public.

Ryan talked about a “five point plan,” like Romney did in the first presidential debate to regain jobs in the United States. Ryan followed up this “five point plan” with how much of a good man Romney is, one who gives “30 percent of his income to charity and one that cares about 100 percent of Americans in this country.” Rayn stated that the motto of the Romney-Ryan ticket for jobs is “opportunity and upward movement.”

Biden rebutted this statement by commenting on Romney’s little regard for jobs in America, making the car industry an example “Look, I don’t doubt his (Romney’s) personal generosity, but you know what? I know he had no commitment to the automobile industry. He just let it go bankrupt, period. Let it drop out. All this talk – we (he Obama Administration) saved a million jobs. 200,000 people are working today.”

As the debate started to wind down though, one of the last topics of discussion was the candidates’ views on abortion. The mood of the debate drastically changed from heated to somber at this topic.

Ryan stated that he was a pro-life advocate “out of reason and science.” His personal beliefs dictate that life begins at conception. Ryan states that the Romney-Ryan ticket wishes to restrict abortion with a few exceptions- those being in cases of rape, incest and if the life of the mother was at risk.

Biden, who also has a personal pro-life belief, does not wish to restrict the country to those boundaries. Rather, he wishes it to remain a personal decision between a woman and her doctor. “Life begins at conception in the church’s judgment. I accept it in my personal life, but I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews. I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people that women they can’t control their body. It’s a decision between them (the woman) and their doctor.”

Overall the debate was a lot more controlled than the first. There was still a few instances where the candidates would try to talk over each other to express their opinion, but it was quickly brought under control by the moderator.

Biden was critiqued afterwards about his aggressiveness in the debate, while Ryan was critiqued on a few out-of-date statistics and his failure to elaborate on specific plans that the Romney-Ryan ticket wish to instate if elected.