Minimum wage maximum attention

Making ends meet might become a little easier with the introduction of a bill called the Fair Minimum Wage Act.

According to raisetheminimumwage.com, the bill, which was proposed by the Senate, would raise minimum wage to $10.10 per hour by 2015. The wages for tipped workers would also increase as well over time.

For college students, making minimum wages can be challenging. Between paying tuition and buying supplies, even the gas to get to and from.

“It’s hard being in college, paying for your car, phone, and living on your own,” said 18-year-old business major Jeremy Ott.

During the State of the Union Address on Feb. 12 Obama made a point to mention raising the minimum wage. Obama wanted to raise the minimum wage to $9.00 per hour according to the New York Times.

This desire to raise the minimum wage was furthered on Dec. 4 when Obama announced his willingness to back the Senate up on raising the minimum wage to $10.10. There is also a possibility that Obama will go to Congress about spending and unemployment benefits in 2014.

Many students at Bucks say that raising the minimum wage would be a great idea.

“Raising minimum wage would be good because people will have more money,” Chris Pierre, 21 said. “Since the economy is down, it will also give people motivation to try and get jobs.

Mike O’Brien, a business administration major, thinks that raising the minimum wage would indeed help to stimulate the economy; “A lot of people make minimum wage and they will be able to enrich their lives and spend more money.”

However, there are some students who think that raising the minimum wage could have some serious drawbacks.

Derek McDill, 19 thinks that a possible side effect to raising the minimum wage could lead to companies hiring less workers or even downsizing their current workforce to avoid paying higher wages.

Despite changes in economic policy that could occur, it is unlikely that the minimum wage will change anytime soon.