The internet makes voter registration easier than ever

The Pa. Online Voter Registration released a press release on Feb. 18 celebrating an almost 100,000 user milestone and reminding voters that the registration deadline for voting in presidential primaries is March 28.
More than 97,000 people in the state have done online voter registration. The majority were new voters at 60 percent. The other 40 percent were registration updates like changing a person’s name, address, or political party.
“Since August, nearly 100,000 voters have discovered for themselves the ease and accessibility of online voter registration,” Cortés said during a press conference at the Dauphin County Bureau of Registration and Elections.
Online registration is convenient, efficient, and secure. The registration website is bilingual, so far it is available in English and Spanish. Online forms result in a more efficient application process. It reduces the amount of time staff spends processing paper applications and saves on mailing costs. Fast and accurate applications are especially important during a presidential election year. Pennsylvania primaries are quickly approaching.
“Given the fact that this is a presidential election year and we are this close to the registration deadline, we are very pleased with that part of the process,” said Director of the Dauphin County Bureau of Registration and Elections Gerald D. Feaser Jr.
“This tool will help provide us with the most accurate voter rolls possible as we approach the primary election,” Pa. Secretary Cortés said. “This is especially important with the volume of new registrations and updates that the counties process in a presidential election year.”
The website keeps personal data more secure than a paper trail because the forms are directly deposited to your county voter registration office. Cyber security is closely monitored and updated.
The online voter registration site is linked to PennDOT. If you have a driver’s license or a state ID card the website already has your signature. PennDOT will be quickly linked to your voter record. Those who do not have a state ID can print, sign, and mail the application or request the Department of State to mail you a signature card to sign and bring to your county office.