Hurricanes Hit Our Hearts – And Our Pockets

On August 13th, 2017, the most expensive hurricane the U.S has ever seen hit Houston, Texas. With damages totaling over $290 billion, it left many homeless and needing help. The historic storm will not only effect Houston for years to come, but it has already affected and will continue to affect the rest of the U.S. The shortage on water and fuel in Houston is raising prices across the country and with Houston being a major fuel mining source in the U.S we can only expect prices to rise even further as businesses recover from the oppressing aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. What does this mean for the college students of Bucks? It’s just another hurdle to get over along with tuition, work and their studies. Even with the storm hitting student’s pockets, the worries were for the ones in Houston who were directly affected by the storm. With bills and tuition, Bucks County Community College students are still finding the money to donate to the ones who really need it. Logan Inglesby, a healthcare major donated to the relief and explained that if we were the ones hit by the storm it would be nice to see the support as well. Ben Peszka, a chemistry major at Bucks also donated and said, “it is important to donate to all causes and to help people when you can. So it is not just the big-time celebrities like J.J Watt and Kevin Hart donating to the cause, it is everyday students and everyday people in our community as well.”

Not only is donating praised it is encouraged and there are many relief programs to donate to. One of the biggest helpers in relief is the American Red Cross and anyone can donate at redcross.org. Disasters like this will always test our strength as a nation and Bucks County Community College stands strong with those who are in support of those affected by Hurricane Harvey.