On Campus, Varying Views of Trump Presidency

President Donald J. Trump swears in James Mattis as the 26th secretary of defense during a ceremony in the Hall of Heroes at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., Jan. 27, 2017. (DOD photo by U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Jette Carr)

(DOD photo by U.S. Air Force Sta

(DOD photo by U.S. Air Force Sta

Elijah Pittman

President Trump has made many bold moves and said many controversial things as president in just a short while. His actions have had a different effect on everyone, including students.

18-year-old Damier Meadows, a sports management major, gave his intake on President Trump’s actions. “Trumps actions had a bad effect on me because he’s out here starting wars,” he said. He also stated that Trump’s actions make him feel defeated as a person. When asked if having him as president turn him off to politics he replied, “Yes because he does crazy things that make me not even want to follow any of it.”

17-year-old Julian White, another sports management major, said that “Donald Trump makes me feel in-between. He is a very bold person and he tell you everything that he is going to do”. He was then asked do the President’s actions make you feel empowered or defeated. He replied, “Defeated because Trump is for rich people, he doesn’t look out for poor people.” However, unlike Meadows, Trump makes him want to follow politics more closely. “He makes you want to know what he is doing or up to.”

20-year-old Somah Slewion, a business administration major, said “Trump’s actions makes me feel bad because first he didn’t help with financial aid, and ever since he became president it’s been a little more hostile on campus.” When asked if the president’s actions make him feel defeated or empowered, he replied, “Defeated, because he doesn’t stand up for our race. You see he didn’t say nothing about the South Carolina incident.” Last he was asked do having Trump as president turn him off politics he answered, “Yes because as soon as someone brings him up I don’t even want to talk no more. I’m just so mad that he is president.”

18-year-old Drew Samoumega, a biomedical science major, gave his insight on the questions. He said, “Trump doesn’t really have an effect on me as a student, but as an immigrant he makes it hard to do certain things. He makes me feel defeated because of the way he acts towards different races and he defiantly turns me off to politics. His character and personality makes me want to stay away from it.”

23-year-old David Ortga, an engineering major, has similar feelings. He said, “I disagree with the things that [Trump] has done and said but they don’t affect me directly. All in all, his actions make me feel defeated because of his views towards immigrants. Still he interests me and turn me on to politics because he keeps me wanting to keep up with what he is doing,”

22-year-old Ronald Gladkowski, a computer science major, had a lot to say on the matter, “His actions don’t affect me personally but I like to keep tabs. Even though I don’t agree with everything that he done I think that the stuff he did after the hurricane in Houston is a step up. I don’t feel defeated or empowered because I’ve been indifferent and don’t focus too much on political things. I have never been a fan of politics but after the election fight with him and Hillary I noticed a few things about presidency that caught my eye.”

• On Campus, Varying Views of Trump Presidency

There’s a Historic Number of Women Running for Office Across America – and They’re Winning

Arts and Entertainment

One-Woman Show Looks at Alcoholism & Recovery

Two Women Charged With Hacking Bucks Computer Systems

Sports

Bucks Centurions Finish Second In Eastern PA Conference, Make Region XIX Playoffs Again

Sports

An Uphill Battle For Men’s Basketball Team With 2-6 Start

Sports

Women’s Soccer Finishes Out Season with 10-6 Record

Features

Why You Should Care About Net Neutrality

Features

Journalism Faces Threats of Fake News and Ad Duopoly in New Digital Age

Racist and Homophobic Incidents At Local Public Schools Draw Concern from Administrators, Anti-Hate Groups

Sports

Will the Eagles Finally Do It or Let the Students Down Once Again?