Learn a Trade in Bucks’ Metalworking Program

Students interested in learning how to work with their hands for a living should look no further than the Bucks metalworking training program. This is a 12-week program that teaches students fundamental concepts required to be a machinist in the manufacturing field.
Students will be able to use this program to find lucrative career opportunities. Experience is not required to sign up. Stephanie Wenger, the Interim Assistant Director of Workforce Development at Bucks said that students, “Just need to pass an interview and an aptitude test in order to qualify.”
“Our students are of all ages, all in different stages of their career and living throughout Bucks County,” said Wenger.
Wenger continued, “I recommend this program to anyone who enjoys working with their hands and is looking for an amazing career opportunity.”
“Interested students will gain an entry-level understanding of manufacturing and fabricating. Additionally, [students] will also learn blueprint reading, shop math, hand tool use, and forklift safety training,” Wenger said.
Curious students should be aware that some of the things taught in this program are risky. “They can be dangerous, which is why all students receive safety training within the first week of the course,” said Wenger.
The danger may be worth it to students considering this line of work over white collar work. “This is an awesome opportunity for a high-paying career without any educational debt.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for someone who enjoys working with their hands and is not interested in an office job,” said Wenger.
Wenger continued, “There are tons of high-paying jobs in Manufacturing and students can get into them without incurring any debt. Manufacturing is alive and well in Bucks County. According to the Workforce Development Board, by 2020 there will be 3,000 unfilled manufacturing jobs in Bucks County. To say there is opportunity for young people is an understatement!” Students who are lost in their search for a major, concerned about student debt, and looking for a new direction should definitely consider this program as a potential path to take in their academic lives.
After finishing this program, students can look forward to an entry-level job in manufacturing such as a CNC Operator, Welder, Plasma Cutter, Grinder, etc. These jobs will grow into so much more and can give students the foundation to run a manufacturing site, shop and/or company.
When asked why there is stigma around trade jobs today, Wenger said, “People don’t know about the career opportunities that exist in manufacturing. Our employers make things that are essential to our everyday lives and futures.”
“A lot of our manufactures are doing high-tech, cutting edge things and to be on the ground floor of that, while earning a high-paying wage is outstanding. They are making ground breaking devices in medicine, marking parts for planes, our infrastructure and most importantly working to make our country and people stronger,” said Wenger.
Not only is the work promising, largely debt-free, and available, but it is also quite important work that plays quite the role in the world.
More information on the program can be found on the Bucks website. The program is offered in Bristol and Perkasie. Bristol sessions begin Nov. 5 and Perkasie sessions begin Nov. 12. Be sure to check it out!