The Psychology of the Election

Sarah Siock, Centurion Staff

Due to our technology-obsessed world, this midterm election had political campaign advertisements reaching voters across a plethora of different media outlets.
Bucks students were relieved that the midterm had come to an end due to the bombardment of political campaign advertisements. The ads reached students through television, the internet, and talk/text. It seemed almost impossible to escape the ads this election season.
Advertisements are utilized every campaign cycle. They serve as a way for candidates to reach voters. Ads allow for each party to state their claim of superiority over their opponent. However, many people view ads as a daily annoyance.
Advertisements seem to follow people throughout their entire day. It seems that the campaigns are centered around advertisement.
“I just really hate the commercials,” said Bucks student Macy Mahar. “They can be confusing. And how do you know even they are even true?”
Many other Bucks students have expressed the same fear as Mahar, regarding the validity of televised campaign advertisements. “They can just be so dramatic that I end up ignoring them,” said student Rachel French.
“When I see two commercials back to back with one endorsing Scott Wallace and one criticizing him, it is hard to trust either view,” added French.
Candidates use advertisements in hopes of changing voters’ opinions. However, students at Bucks felt that campaign ads this season were not affective in their swaying voters. “People already have their views and just because I see a dramatic commercial about a candidate does not mean I will change my vote,” said student Gabby Adornetto.
Adornetto also stated that she had received both phone calls and text messages urging her to vote for a certain candidate. “I am just happy that it is finally going to stop,” laughed Adornetto.
Another student, Andrew Burden, expressed his frustration with the excess of advertisements via the internet. “It is definitely excessive. Every single YouTube video has an ad relating to the election,” said Burden. “Often, it is the same one that keeps playing.”
Television ads are often very dramatic in order to draw viewers’ attention. Computer science major, Brendan McGoldrice, shared his opinion on the theatrical techniques used in the ads. “They have started to become a joke between me and my friends. They can just be so dramatic that it’s laughable,” said McGoldrice. “At least they can get the candidate’s name out there.”
The excess of advertisements could be due to the money that they produce. The Washington Post stated, “TV consultants employed by campaigns typically earn 10 to 15 cents for every dollars of television ad time their candidate purchases.” The more ads, the more income the consultants earn.
The money involved with these campaigns and ads could be the source of Bucks students’ aggravation toward advertisements. As computer science major, Brendon McGoldrice put it, “It seems that it’s a battle to see which candidate will spend the most money in order to win.”

• The Psychology of the Election

Conquering the Paralyzing Effects of Anxiety

• The Psychology of the Election

Secret Shopper Scam Sent to Students

• The Psychology of the Election

Bucks News

Students and Staff Advocate for Increased Funding at the Capitol

• The Psychology of the Election

Bucks News

Big Changes for Business Department

• The Psychology of the Election

Bucks News

Faculty Say Repairs Needed in Grupp Hall

• The Psychology of the Election

Bucks Gears Up For the 20th Annual Journalism Forums

• The Psychology of the Election

Features

Historic Tunnels Under Tyler Hall

• The Psychology of the Election

Governor Tom Wolf Pushes for $15 Minimum Wage

• The Psychology of the Election

Record Number of Wins for the Centurion

• The Psychology of the Election

Alert Sent to Students After Incident in Campus Parking Lot

The Psychology of the Election