What Do Students Think Of Bernie Sanders for a 2020 Election Candidate?

Vermont Senator and Democratic runner up in the primary election of 2016, Bernie Sanders, announced on Feb. 19 that he will be running in the 2020 presidential election.
He joins an already crowded list of Democratic hopefuls lined up to oppose President Trump. The list includes Senators Corey Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Kamela Harris, Kristin Gillibrand, Amy Klubocher and Representative Tulsi Gabbard. A potential leading candidate is former Vice President, Joe Biden, but he has not announced his decision yet.
Sanders is an Independent in the Senate but side with Democrats on many key issues. The Democratic National Party is asking each candidate to document their intention to run on the Democratic ticket to confirm intentions well in advance.
As it is still early in the campaign there are newly elected, younger and seen as in tune with younger generation Democrats like Alexandra Ocasic-Cortez and Pete Guttiguig, the first openly gay candidate for president and mayor of South Bend, Indiana. Some feel Sanders, who is 77 and Trump are just too old for presidency. It’s time for new blood not just in the White House but in all of Washington.
This year’s midterm election results show this change to be true with new members of Congress that included 42 women total.
“Sanders would be a great president in my opinion,” states Bucks sophomore, Nicole Naylor, of Levittown. “He constantly fights for the lives of African Americans and is just an overall good candidate.”
Sanders brought up promises of free college tuition, health care for all, and raising minimum wage. Many of these were seen as radical left ideas but are now almost mainstream for many voters.
In campaign video Sanders described his desire for higher wages when he said, “nobody in America who works 40 hours a week should be living in poverty.”
“I think free tuition would be indifferent because that would cause higher taxes,” said freshman Amber Linder of Bensalem
The majority of his support comes from small donors and liberal voters. Just one day after announcing his run he already raised $6 million for his campaign.
“Coming into this election I feel the Democrats have an advantage. People are upset and want a change and this party can bring that,” said Naylor.
Three years ago Sanders was accused of not treating women in his campaign right. He has since apologized and sated he did not think he did anything wrong. However, he formally apologized to the women who alleged they were mistreated. The momentum of the #Metoo movement over the past few years has brought these types of allegations out in large numbers across the board.
“Has some really good ideas that think would help our country out a lot. Nothing is free though, the Medicare for all and free college tuition would still have to be paid for somehow,” said sophomore Greta Chavey of Levittown.
No matter your opinion on Sanders it is clear that the he is going to be one of many controversial candidates.