Bucks Students Voice Opinions on The College Admissions Scandal

Within the last month, nearly 50 “higher up” individuals have been caught in what just might be the largest college scam of all time. These individuals, include actress “Full and Fuller House” Lori Loughlin, her fashion designer husband Mossimo Giannulli, and “Desperate Housewives” star Felicity Huffman were caught spending millions of dollars in bribes to get their children into the elite college of their choice.
Loughlin and Giannulli spent up to $500,000 to get both of their daughter’s Olivia Jade Gianulli and Bella Giannulli who are known for their social media influence into The University of Southern California. The girls were guaranteed a spot on the school’s crew team, even though neither of them never played the sport.
In one of her YouTube videos, Olivia Jade talked about the “struggles” of handling school work and her social media life,“I do want the experience of game days, partying… I don’t really care about school” said Gianulli in one of her YouTube videos.
Huffman just recently pleaded guilty to paying one of their daughter’s college counselors
$15,000 to help her cheat on her SAT test.
This has infuriated tons of parents and students across the country who work hard and pay hard earned money on college tuitions.
Bucks students were asked their opinion on the scandal considering they pay hard earned money to attend college.
Ciara Flor a student at Bucks said, “There are students that work so hard in high school to get into great schools and now they are put into a position to compete not only with other students but also student’s parents who are wealthy enough to just get them into whatever school they want. They are stealing student’s dreams and taking away their opportunities.”
Students were asked about how many hours they work, how many classes they take all at the same time and what they thought about the cheating scandal, it came to be clear this scandal has frustrated many.
Layton Fetterrolf, 19, Psychology major, stated “I work at least 30 hours weekly and am currently taking four classes this semester. It is a little hard but literally everyone that I know is in that situation. When the whole college scandal broke out, I was just surprised they got caught. I feel like you need to earn your way through”.
It has recently been brought up whether Olivia Jade and Bella Giannulli even knew what their parents had done, or if they just thought they got into the school for being “famous.” But it has eventually come to knowledge that both sisters were included in all the emails regarding the scandal.
Bucks student Alyssa DeMaria stated that “Although the situation doesn’t affect me personally, I pay for my own school and it is definitely aggravating to see people take the easy way out.” She also added that she can see how this series of events would anger any college athlete who has trained their whole life just to see the Giannulli sisters get a spot on an elite college team handed to them.
Taking a different approach, Ciara Pretcher from Bucks has said that she is personally not fazed by the scandal because it does not have anything to do with her.
“Sadly, people fail out of school all the time which waste a spot that could have been given to someone more deserving as well, but no one makes a big deal about that” Pretcher added.
All members involved face a slew of charges.