Centurion Wins Nine Awards at State Journalism Contest

Centurion staff members Alyssa Moore (left) and Sarah Siock (right).

The Centurion continued its winning streak at the Student Keystone Press Awards with nine wins at this year’s competition.

The Centurion took home wins in seven different categories. The student newspaper received four first-place wins. These first-place wins were in the “Ongoing News Coverage,” “Public Service/Enterprise Package,” “Sports Story” and “Website” categories. Wins in these categories were for coverage of topics including the student loan crisis and anxiety in college students.

The Centurion has competed in the community college division since 2010 and has brought home more than 100 awards during that time.

“Everyone who contributes to Centurion is a hard worker and I am happy these awards recognize that,” said Sarah Siock, Editor in Chief of the Centurion. Siock won two awards at this year’s Keystone Press Awards.

The work produced by the Centurion is done entirely by students. Stories for the newspaper are written, edited and put into layout by the Centurion’s student-run staff.

The student newspaper also performed well in digital journalism categories and received two wins for video news stories.

“The journalism program is excellent at Bucks. Professor Tony Rogers who is the advisor of the Centurion puts a lot of effort into the program and truly cares about his students. The success of the program can be seen by the awards it wins each year. There are not many programs at the college where you win awards for the work you produce which is what makes the journalism program special. If anyone is able to take a journalism class they should because you receive so much out of it,” Siock said.

Rogers noted that the awards were for work done during Siock’s tenure as editor in chief. “It’s no surprise that the paper did so well this year,” he said. “Sarah has done a terrific job as editor and these awards reflect that.”

The competition is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Newsmedia Association. The Association planned to hold an awards lunch for all winners this April in Harrisburg. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the ceremony is currently postponed.

Here is the full list of winners:

General News Second: Alec Sager
Ongoing News Coverage First Place:  Shannon Goldhahn, Erin Smith, Ulisses Morales-Columna, Tyler Seale.
Public Service/Enterprise Package First Place: Sarah Siock, Joseph Sheridan, Francis Klingenberg, Elijah Pittman
Public Service/Enterprise Package Honorable Mention: Joshua Thompson, Jared Roberts, Bradley Hare
Sports Story First Place:  Sarah Siock
Photo Story Second Place: Shannon Goldhahn
Website First Place: Centurion Staff
Video Story Second Place: Anthony Direnzo
Video Story Honorable Mention: Nicole Aquino